How to Prove Points in an Open Interval are of a Certain Form?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JG89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Interpretation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
JG89
Messages
724
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Prove the points of the open interval (a,b) are those of the form a + t(b-a) for 0 < t < 1.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I'm interpreting this as asking me to prove that if x is in (a,b), then x can be written as
a + t(b-a) for some 0 < t < 1. Conversely, it's asking me to prove that if x = a + t(b-a) with 0 < t < 1, then x is in (a,b).

Is this interpretation correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please answer quick. This is a homework question due in a couple hours. I've already finished the question and my problem set, but I want to make sure that I proved the correct thing!
 
Yes, your interpretation is correct.

Sorry I couldn't get this to you sooner but I was busy with something I am actually paid to do.
 
but I was busy with something I am actually paid to do.

I'll pay you double! Just kidding, thanks for the response. It came in time :)