Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove that for any bound electronic state, < p > = 0

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    Hey all. So, I understand that every bound electronic state will have zero average electronic momentum, because otherwise the electron will fly off the atom. But how do I show mathematically that < p > = 0 for any bound state. Any help or reference greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2010 #2
    Try relating [tex]\langle p \rangle[/tex] to [tex] \frac{d}{dt} \langle x \rangle [/tex] (Ehrenfest's Theorem). If "bound state" means "stationary state in a time-independent potential", then use the fact that [tex] \frac{d}{dt} \langle x \rangle = 0 [/tex].

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  4. Aug 9, 2010 #3
    If d<x>/dt = 0 then that means <p> is a constant. but how I prove that <p> = 0?

5. Aug 10, 2010 #4
    The atom's hamiltonian commutes with the parity operator P. Hence any energy eigenstate [tex]|\psi>}[/tex] must have definite parity:

[tex]P|\psi>=\pm|\psi>[/tex]

Now, the momentum operator changes sign under parity

[tex]PpP^\dagger=-p[/tex]

So, using [tex]P^\dagger P = I[/tex], we find

[tex]<\psi|p|\psi>=(<\psi|P^\dagger)( P p P^\dagger) (P|\psi>)=-<\psi|p|\psi>[/tex]

hence

[tex]<\psi|p|\psi>=0[/tex]

6. Aug 10, 2010 #5
    This is not properly justified. You did not use the knowledge that the state is "bounded" (whatever it means rigorously...?)

For example set [itex]V=0[/itex]. The Hamiltonian of a free particle commutes with the parity operator too, but still its eigenstates [itex]\psi(x)=e^{ikx}[/itex] don't satisfy [itex]P|\psi\rangle = \pm|\psi\rangle[/itex].

How do you prove, that bounded states are non-degenerate? That would help. In the previous counter example the eigenstates [itex]\sin(kx)[/itex] and [itex]\cos(kx)[/itex] would be eigenstates of parity operator, but their linear combinations are not.

7. Aug 10, 2010 #6
    For a time independent potential:

[tex] \langle p \rangle = m \frac{d}{dt} \langle x \rangle [/tex]

which is zero for a bound state.

8. Aug 10, 2010 #7
    ok someone please tell me if this is right:

d<p>/dt = <F> : this is always valid. so if I want to calculate the average force on a particle in any stationary state / non stationary state, I can just calculate the average momentum and take the time derivative.

For example, if I have an atom in presence of a time-dependent potential, I can calculate the perturbed wave function using time-dependent perturbation theory, then take the average of p over the perturbed wave function and then take its time derivative to get the average force. Is that right?

9. Aug 10, 2010 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can easily show that it's time independent, but showing it equal to 0 is a much stronger statement. Compute the integral in the case of the infinite square potential in 1 dimension. Is the integral = 0 ?

10. Aug 10, 2010 #9
    yeah I can show that it's time independent. For example, consider the ground electronic state of an atom in absence of any external field. then in ground state,

<p> = <psi * Exp[i * w * t] ] p [psi * Exp [ -i * w *t]>

= <psi] p [psi>

= time independent.

but, is <p> = 0? someone told me it's = 0 but I can't understand why.

Also, someone please tell me if my previous post is right or wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook