Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove the field extension is algebraically closed

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    Suppose that E is a field extension of F, and every polynomial f(x) in F[x] has a root in E. Then E is algebraically closed, i.e. every polynomial f(x) in E[x] has a root in E.

I've been told that this result is really difficult to prove, but it seems really intuitive so I find that surprising. Where can I find a proof of this result?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2012 #2

No wonder you've been told that: it is false. Let [itex]E:= ℂ(t)[/itex] be the field of rational functions on the (transcendental) variable t. Then E is a field extension of [itex]ℂ[/itex] in which every pol. of [itex]ℂ[x][/itex] has a root, but E certainly is not alg. closed as, for example, the pol. [itex]x^2-t\in ℂ(t)[x][/itex] has no root in it...

Now, the claim is true if one adds the condition that E/F is an algebraic extension.

DonAntonio

4. Apr 5, 2012 #3
    OK, so adding that condition where can I find the proof of the result?

5. Apr 5, 2012 #4

It's theorem 2 in http://www.math.uconn.edu/~kconrad/blurbs/galoistheory/algclosure.pdf

The proof isn't THAT easy but it isn't THAT hard, either.

Enjoy, and for this read the whole paper. The first part is just the well-known and "standard" proof by Artin.

DonAntonio

6. Apr 5, 2012 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

my free algebra notes 844.I.1, do this in detail, in the first 12 pages.

http://www.math.uga.edu/%7Eroy/844-1.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Apr 5, 2012 #6

The question wasn't about the existence of alg. closures of fields, which Artin's proof, that also appears in your notes, does, but the fact that after the first construction of an extension E/F s.t. every non-constant pol. in E[x] has a root we can ALREADY stop there since F is alg. closed. I couldn't find this point in your notes, though perhaps I oversaw it.

DonAntonio

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Apr 7, 2012 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oops, my mistake, thank you.

9. Apr 8, 2012 #8
    Is it possible to prove the result without invoking the notion of perfect fields?

10. Apr 8, 2012 #9

I doubt it since the trick focuses on extensions K/F which can be put in the form [itex]K=F(\alpha)[/itex] , for some [itex]\alpha\in K[/itex] , and one

achieves this using separability, but also: why? Separability shouldn't, imo, be a problem for someone trying to tackle what you're trying...

DonAntonio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook