How to Prove This Fibonacci Identity Involving Squares and Products?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ramsey2879
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Identity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
ramsey2879
Messages
841
Reaction score
3
Can someone guide me on how to prove that
[tex]F_{4n+3} + F_{4n+6} = F_{2n+1}^2 + F_{2n+4}^2[/tex]

either side of the above is the difference

[tex](F_{2n+2}*F_{2n+3} + F_{2n+4}^2) - (F_{2n}*F_{2n+1} + F_{2n+2}^2)[/tex]

I intend to post this sequence [tex]F_{2n}*F_{2n+1} + F_{2n+2}^2[/tex], with a comment re a few properties thereof, on Sloane's online encyclopedia of integer sequences but would like to verify the above identity first.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First thing springs to mind is to try use general formula for nth
Fibbonacci number:

[tex]F_{n}=\frac{\phi^n-(1-\phi)^n}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

In order to proceed with math induction.But I'm unsure will it work or not.
I'm sure there are better methods ,though.
 
Last edited:
tehno said:
First thing springs to mind is to try use general formula for nth
Fibbonacci number:

[tex]F_{n}=\frac{\phi^n-(1-\phi)^n}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

In order to proceed with math induction.But I'm unsure will it work or not.
I'm sure there are better methods ,though.

Thanks
I think there is an identity for the following that works:

[tex]F_{i}*F_{j} + F_{i+1}*F_{j+1} = F_{?}[/tex]

Let j = i = 2n+1 then

[tex]F_{2n+1}^{2} + F_{2n+2}^{2} = F_{4n+3}[/tex]
[tex]F_{2n+2}^{2} + F_{2n+3}^{2} = F_{4n+5}[/tex]
[tex]F_{2n+2}^{3} + F_{2n+4)^{2} = F_{4n+7}[/tex]
\\
[tex]F_{4n+3} +F_{4n+6} = F_{4n+3} + F_{4n+7} - F_{4n+5}[/tex]
[tex]=F_{2n+1}^{2} + F_{2n+4}^{2}[/tex]
 
Last edited: