Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to relax?(in sports-use body as union in harmony)

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    In my experience, whip provides the most speed/spin in table tennis....you don't have to be a tt pro to answer this question though.....

Now, the issue is, inorder to whip, we need to keep our muscles relaxed....meaning, to sprint, our leg muscles, to swing, our arm muscles and torso....etc...the point is....in a workshop, I learned that hip/butt muscles control all of these, therefore, just by rotating them, you can jerk and control your whole body in a very precise and accurate manner....but the problem remains....even those muscles are not completely relaxed...therefore, how do I make 'em?

I know that by practice, I can...but I was looking for something quicker...and I found one too....when I play tennis, I automatically start using more muscles in a more relaxed manner b/c more momentum is REQUIRED.....and therefore, right after swinging some tennis ball, when I swing ping pong ball...this is very easy...however, it will be such a hastle to have to play tennis inorder to play table tennis...(I do like both) But the crisis seems to be that fundamental strokes for both of these sports contradict each other in such a manner that it is actually NOT recommended to play both in the same season(if you are professional...which I am) So what should I do?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're standing, you cannot keep all those muscles relaxed. They are required to maintain stability of your hips to stand up. If they were completely relaxed, you'd fall down.

I have no idea what a "whip" is in table tennis. While sprinting, your leg muscles are anything but relaxed. Your hip/butt (also known as gluteal) muscles are not going to control your whole body, and muscles don't "rotate."

So, to put it simply, nothing you've asked makes any sense.

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

For any situation requiring relaxation, my weapon is Scotch.

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gee danger - in another thread you mentioned beer. You should get your story straight.
    However, danger's answer makes sense to a question that I don't understand at all.
    Wish I coulda thought of it.

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, as I already stated, if all those muscles are relaxed, you fall down. I have the same response if I consume a lot of scotch. :biggrin:

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6

Danger

Gold Member

No conflicting statements. Beer is my 'party-mood' or everyday beverage. Scotch/water heavy ice is a laid-back drink, or a couple of ounces as a shooter if I'm having trouble sleeping. I also love tequila.

Then may I offer you a Scotch, my dear. I don't fall down...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  8. Feb 20, 2008 #7

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Scotch doesn't work in table tennis. Only works in under the table tennis.

9. Feb 20, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Dammit, Greg... I want a <groan> smilie right now!

10. Feb 27, 2008 #9
    So my question is.....when I play in tournament....my body tightens up and I cant seem to play my whip shots...etc....how do I relax it?

11. Feb 27, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a question about mental state I think. If you're tensing up with the excitement of competition, you just have to calm yourself enough to relax. I guess practice against someone equally competitive. Athletes "choke" all the time, and it's a mental issue in the competitive environment, not a physical one.

12. Feb 29, 2008 #11
    but here are a few tips I found which made me think that can be solved by physical means as well....you see, he told me that any muscle you try to use...will get tense b/c you will fear weather I can make this shot or not....but if you rotate your hips and by that force jerk your torso, and through that whip your shoulders....you can have a completely smooth, natural, and powerful shot in table tennis.....

So since I found one advice to help me...I am just trying to find more....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?