How to remove electron gun from a TV?

In summary, the conversation is about reusing an electron gun from an old black & white TV for an art project. The poster is concerned about the implosion risk and is unsure if the TV has an implosion device. The thread has been locked for moderation due to safety considerations.
Paul Uszak
I'm trying to reuse an electron gun from an old black & white TV for an art project. I've posted into this forum rather than Electrical Engineering as I think that this is a strictly mechanical matter with no electricity involved.

The TV's dead, and all I want is the physical bits of the gun. It doesn't have to work, but has to be intact. My issue is an implosion risk. I don't currently have access to the TV to ascertain it's age, but it's full of valves and I don't know if it has an implosion device.

Is there a way to recover the gun with acceptable risk?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread locked for moderation.

Edit: the thread will remain locked. We are not sure of all the necessary safety consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I safely remove the electron gun from my TV?

The first step is to unplug the TV and make sure it is completely powered off. Then, locate the rear cover of the TV and remove it to access the internal components. The electron gun is usually located near the back of the tube. Use caution and wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, before attempting to remove the electron gun.

2. Do I need any special tools to remove the electron gun?

Yes, you will need a set of screwdrivers, including a Phillips and flathead, to remove the screws and brackets holding the electron gun in place. You may also need a pair of pliers to disconnect any wires or connectors attached to the electron gun.

3. Can I remove the electron gun without damaging the TV?

It is possible to remove the electron gun without damaging the TV, but it is important to be careful and follow proper procedures. Make sure to disconnect all power sources and use caution when handling the electron gun to avoid any accidental damage.

4. How do I know if the electron gun needs to be replaced?

If your TV is experiencing issues with the color or picture quality, it is possible that the electron gun may need to be replaced. However, it is recommended to consult a professional technician to properly diagnose the issue before attempting to remove or replace the electron gun.

5. Can I remove the electron gun myself or should I hire a professional?

Removing the electron gun from a TV can be a delicate and potentially dangerous process. If you are not confident in your ability to safely remove the electron gun, it is best to hire a professional technician who is trained and experienced in handling these types of repairs.