Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to rigorously motivate the following formula

1. Mar 9, 2015 #1
    I have encountered the following formula a couple of times (always in a physics context, of course..)
    [itex]\int_{0}^\infty \frac{dt}{t}e^{-tx}=-\log x[/itex]
    Formally one can "derive" this formula by noting that
    [itex]\log x=\int \frac{dx}{x}=\int dx \int_0^\infty dte^{-xt}=-\int_0^\infty \frac{dt}{t}e^{-xt}[/itex]
    But the t integral obviously diverges. So there must be some regularization of this integral but this is never explained (and sometimes they write that the integral is from ##0^+## instead of 0, whatever that means).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From a mathematical point of view, this doesn't look right. [itex]logx=\int_1^x \frac{du}{u}[/itex]. Therefore the final integral should be:
    [itex]-\int_0^{\infty} \frac {dt}{t}(e^{-xt}-e^{-t})[/itex], which is convergent.

4. Mar 9, 2015 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Set ##x = 1## and you get:

[itex]\int_{0}^\infty \frac{dt}{t}e^{-t}=0[/itex]

Which can't be right.

In any case, the LHS is positive and the RHS is negative for ##x > 1##.

5. Mar 9, 2015 #4
    I agree with everything you are saying, but this is a formula I see quite often but I never understand what it means due to these issues. Just to throw in an example, look at page 5 before equation 1.11 of the following paper
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/0804.1773v1.pdf

6. Mar 9, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't see the relation between the formula that uses a sum, an additional integral, some function K and other things but no exponential, and your function (which has been shown to be wrong).

7. Mar 9, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try offering it pizza. Always works for me :smile:

8. Mar 9, 2015 #7
    The additional sum is the only difference. Just substitute the equation just before to get rid of the inner three dimensional integral.

I am not making this up, I have seen this divergent integral popping up several times without any comments about the obvious fact that it is wrong...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook