How to search for some topic in a specific subforum?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, to search for a specific topic in a subforum, use the search bar at the top of the page and enter your keywords. To narrow down your search within a specific subforum, click on the "Advanced Search" option and filter your results by subforum, date range, or other criteria. You can also search for a specific user's posts within a subforum by entering their username in the advanced search options. To search for multiple keywords within a subforum, use the boolean operators "AND" and "OR". Lastly, to see the most recent posts within a specific subforum, click on the "New Posts" button on the subforum page.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I looked at the search option, and I want to search some topic in some subforum, but there isn't such an option. Only to search through tags or poster's name.

Can someone tell me how to search by choosing the appropriate subforum in PF?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you go to the forum you want to search then click the search button, there's a dropdown (says "everywhere" initially) that includes "this forum" as an option.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
If you click on "search threads" rather than "search everything" an additional parameter field appears for forum/subforum.

1580494167117.png

Likes MathematicalPhysicist

1. How do I search for a specific topic in a subforum?

To search for a specific topic in a subforum, you can use the search function provided by the subforum. This is usually located at the top of the page and can be accessed by clicking on the search bar or the magnifying glass icon. You can then type in the keywords or topic you are looking for and the search results will show all the relevant posts in that subforum.

2. Can I search for multiple keywords in a subforum?

Yes, you can search for multiple keywords in a subforum. To do this, simply separate the keywords with a space or use the "AND" operator between the keywords. This will narrow down your search results to posts that contain all of the keywords you have entered.

3. How can I refine my search in a specific subforum?

To refine your search in a specific subforum, you can use the advanced search function. This can usually be accessed by clicking on the "Advanced Search" link next to the search bar. Here, you can specify certain criteria such as date range, author, and specific forums to search within. This will help you find more targeted and relevant results.

4. Can I search for a specific user's posts in a subforum?

Yes, you can search for a specific user's posts in a subforum. This can be done by using the advanced search function and entering the user's name in the "Search by Author" field. You can also click on the user's profile and use the "Find all posts by this user" option to see all of their posts in that subforum.

5. How do I search for a topic in a subforum that I am not a member of?

To search for a topic in a subforum that you are not a member of, you can use the global search function provided by the website. This is usually located at the top of the page and can be accessed by clicking on the search bar or the magnifying glass icon. You can then type in the keywords or topic you are looking for and the search results will show all the relevant posts from all subforums on the website.