How to set zero value boxes transparent in 3D plots?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the function ind2patch to create a 3D block with smaller blocks inside, each with a color representing its value. The issue of how to make transparent the boxes with low or zero value is raised, and the algorithm for plotting using the function is also mentioned. The person suggests looking at an example provided by the function's creator for a solution to the transparency issue.
kelvin490
Gold Member
I used a function called ind2patch to make a big 3D block which contains a number of smaller blocks in 3 dimensions. Each small block has a value which the magnitude is represented by a color.One example is shown below:
DisDen.png

However, most of the boxes have very low or zero value and I don't need to show them. How can I make these boxes transparent? I just want to show the boxes with non-zero value.

For the above 3D plot I use a matrix M to store the value of each box (i,j,k) and use the following algorithm to plot:

indPatch=1:numel(M);
[F,V,C]=ind2patch(indPatch,M,'v'); %Call the function ind2patch in order to plot 3D cube with color

xlabel('y','fontsize',20);ylabel('x','fontsize',20); zlabel('z','fontsize',20); hold on;
set(get(gca,'xlabel'),'Position',[5 -50 30]); %set position of axis label
set(get(gca,'ylabel'),'Position',[5 50 -15]);
set(get(gca,'zlabel'),'Position',[64 190 -60]);
patch('Faces',F,'Vertices',V,'FaceColor','flat','CData',C,'EdgeColor','k','FaceAlpha',0.5);
axis equal; view(3); axis tight; axis vis3d; grid off;

Physics news on Phys.org
The person who wrote that function provided an example where he does what you are asking. Did you look at his example?

1. How do I make zero value boxes transparent in 3D plots?

To set zero value boxes transparent in 3D plots, you can use the alpha parameter in the plot function. This parameter controls the transparency of the plot, with a value of 0 being completely transparent and 1 being completely opaque. Simply set the alpha value to 0 for the zero value boxes to become transparent.

2. Can I specify a different transparency level for the zero value boxes?

Yes, you can specify any value between 0 and 1 for the alpha parameter to control the transparency level of the zero value boxes. You can also use a colormap to map different transparency levels to different values, giving you more control over the appearance of the zero value boxes.

3. Do I need to use a specific software or programming language to set zero value boxes transparent in 3D plots?

The method for setting zero value boxes transparent in 3D plots may vary depending on the software or programming language you are using. However, most commonly used tools for data visualization such as Matplotlib, R, and MATLAB have built-in functions or parameters that allow you to adjust the transparency of plots, including zero value boxes.

4. Will setting zero value boxes transparent affect the rest of my plot?

Setting zero value boxes transparent will only affect the transparency of the zero value boxes, and not the rest of the plot. It will not alter the appearance of other elements such as the axes, labels, and other data points in the plot.

5. Can I set zero value boxes transparent in 3D plots for all types of data?

Yes, you can set zero value boxes transparent in 3D plots for any type of data. This technique is commonly used in scientific visualization to highlight areas of interest or to make the plot more visually appealing. However, keep in mind that the transparency of the zero value boxes may vary depending on the type of data and the software or programming language being used.