Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to share files in Google Docs

1. Jul 11, 2013 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone sent a Google Doc link to a number of collaborators (https://docs.google.com/file/etc [Broken]). I want to edit it so that everyone can see my input, how should I do it?

I've done File>Open with Google Docs, but then it's only in my personal Drive. If I follow the original link again the file is not changed. How should I share what I've done?

Of course I've asked colleagues for advice, looked online, but I can't figure it out! It's giving me a headache (apparently I'm getting old, technology has caught up with me :cry:).

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I think the person who owns (the original copy of) the file has to give other people the right to edit it.

4. Jul 11, 2013 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I checked it, I have the right to edit. However, when I open the link the document is not editable.

5. Jul 11, 2013 #4

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Don't copy it to your drive. When you follow the link you should be able to edit that link directly.

Are you sure you have edit rights?

6. Jul 11, 2013 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I click 'share' and view 'who has access' it says 'can edit'. Or shouldn't I be able to see whether I have write access?

Could it be my e-mail address? I open it from work e-mail, but I have a gmail account. In the 'who can access' both my e-mail addresses are listed though and one needs a gmail account? At least when I checked another computer it specifically asked me to log in.

7. Jul 11, 2013 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, solved. There apparently was a document conversion thing that had to be turned on :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook