Use Google docs to edit equations using the built-in equation editor

In summary, Google Docs offers a built-in equation editor that allows users to easily edit and insert equations into their documents. This feature includes a variety of mathematical symbols and structures, making it a convenient tool for creating complex equations. Additionally, the equation editor allows for real-time collaboration, allowing multiple users to work on the same document simultaneously. With its user-friendly interface and collaborative capabilities, Google Docs' equation editor is a valuable resource for anyone needing to include equations in their documents.
greySky
Homework Statement:: use google docs to edit equations using the built-in equation editor (cursor positioning)
Homework Equations:: https://docs.google.com
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Problem: enter an equation using Google docs equation editor, the later goal being: to send emails in gmail that contain nice equations.

Show work already done:
Although I'm not sure if the Google docs equation editor can be used in gmail, I figure if I can get equations working in the "Google Ecosystem" in one method, the feature might be added to gmail later. I'm aware of latex and wikipedia equation editors, but using only the "Google Ecosystem" is desired.

In Google Docs (writing document), I'm having trouble simply moving the cursor to the "right-hand-side of the capital pi notation"

• Please help solve the subproblem of: what is the best way to navigate the insertion cursor to the "right-hand-side of the capital pi notation", if the capital pi is input first
    • using the arrow keys or clicking "a lot" seems to just move the insertion cursor outside of the equation box entirely
    • I can insert the large Pi "in front of the object being multiplied" but this is literally backwards/nonintuitive
googleEquationEditor.png

enteringPi notation after the fact.png

Computer science news on Phys.org
Conclusion, I was able to solve the cursor-positioning subproblem after trying a few more inputs.

• Using the arrow keys works to continue the equation if the capital pi is entered before the object being multiplied.
    • The trick is, the insertion cursor will appear outside the equation box when it is ready to continue the equation (insertion cursor exaggerated below)
      cursor outside the equation box.png
    • on entering more content, the box will extend around the equation
      Screenshot from 2019-12-31 05-21-22.png

This thread doesn't seem to fit in any of our forums. But it seems that you answered your own question. Good luck.

Personally, I had better results with an add-on called Equations++. It allows me to use both the equation editor, and latex expressions on the same equation.

I think an FAQ blog about Google.doc is the better place to address those questions. ##\LaTeX## exists now for roundabout thirty years, and there is a reason it is still there. Attempts from Google or MicroSoft to reinvent the wheel are in my eyes desperate and expendable, meant to bind users to their products; plus you cannot charge ##\LaTeX##. It is better, more mature and easily available. I would rather invest time to get used to a TeX-editor than learning icons in proprietary shells.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Both Word and Google Docs accept LaTex input, although it is nor so well-documented in either case.

• Informative
Likes DEvens
Vanadium 50 said:
Both Word and Google Docs accept LaTex input
Didn't know about that.

This would make a good insights article. It’s something some folks who use google docs might like to know.

Recently, I had to do something like this and developed a script to handle markdown syntax and mathjax to create a web page that could be saved as a pdf.

Likes anorlunda
We have a forum
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/matlab-maple-mathematica-latex.189/
under Math.

I've wondered before if that might be expanded to include help with use of any software. If so, then it is no longer just math. It could be moved to the lounge.

We have frequent questions about use of MCNP, but they remain under the Nuclear forum. But things like Word, Google, Facebook, CAD, and Chrome, are not specific to any discipline. That is why the thread in question here was hard to place.

Vanadium 50 said:
Both Word and Google Docs accept LaTex input, although it is nor so well-documented in either case.

Please tell me more about Word accepting LaTex input. Please please please! Even just a pointer at where to get started?

DEvens said:
Even just a pointer at where to get started?
It's not hard to find: Insert -> Equation -> LaTeX. Or use a search engine.

DEvens said:
Please tell me more about Word accepting LaTex input. Please please please! Even just a pointer at where to get started?
See https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...ns=WINWORD&version=16&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

In Google Docs, I clicked Help, and typed in this search phrase "enter latex equations". Here's what comes up:
Insert an equation
  1. Open a document in Google Docs.
  2. Click where you want to put the equation.
  3. Click Insert
    s-E2sZftTTIHjBrdV-WsGPIhGjaxcEXjfgdIfW_UNG7Sw0=h18.png
    Equation.
  4. Select the symbols you want to add from one of these menus:
    • Greek letters
    • Miscellaneous operations
    • Relations
    • Math operators
    • Arrows
  5. Add numbers or substitute variables in the box.

• Informative
Likes DEvens
Mark44 said:
  1. Open a document in Google Docs.
  2. Click where you want to put the equation.
  3. Click Insert
    szftttihjbrdv-wsgpihgjaxcexjfgdifw_ung7sw0-h18-png.png
    szftttihjbrdv-wsgpihgjaxcexjfgdifw_ung7sw0-h18-png.png
    Equation.
That's true, but it is very limited. I think most people use third party add-ons to get more extensive capabilities.

1. How do I access the equation editor in Google Docs?

To access the equation editor in Google Docs, simply click on the "Insert" tab at the top of the document and then select "Equation" from the drop-down menu. This will open the equation editor for you to start creating and editing equations.

2. Can I edit equations in Google Docs using my keyboard?

Yes, you can edit equations in Google Docs using your keyboard. Simply use the arrow keys to move the cursor within the equation and use the backspace and delete keys to remove characters. You can also use the tab key to navigate between different elements in an equation.

3. Is there a limit to the number of equations I can add in a Google Docs document?

No, there is no limit to the number of equations you can add in a Google Docs document. You can add as many equations as you need for your document without any restrictions.

4. Can I insert equations from other sources into Google Docs?

Yes, you can insert equations from other sources into Google Docs by copying and pasting them into the equation editor. This includes equations from websites, other documents, or even handwritten equations that have been scanned or photographed.

5. Can multiple people edit equations in a Google Docs document at the same time?

Yes, multiple people can edit equations in a Google Docs document at the same time. Google Docs allows for real-time collaboration, so changes made to equations by one person will be instantly visible to others working on the same document.