1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to show a sequence converges

1. Jun 21, 2010 #1
    Hey guys,

I have a function y=(x+2)/(x+1) and I have performed iterations to show that for any initial value other than -sqrt{2} the sequence converges to sqrt{2}.

So I have found that sqrt{2} is a stable fixed point and -sqrt{2} is an unstable fixed point.

Now I have to prove my findings using a standard test for convergence?

Can anyone help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2
    hi there.

a sufficient condition is that
    the derivative in the fixed point has to be smaller than one in absolute value
  4. Jun 21, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

How are you getting sqrt(2)? As x --> infinity, (x + 2)/(x + 1) --> 1.
  5. Jun 21, 2010 #4
    its a fixed point iteration scheme. this specific case you can derive from newtons method to find the zeros of x^2-2.
  6. Jun 21, 2010 #5

But what do the zeroes of x^2 - 2 have to do with (x + 2)/(x - 1)?
  7. Jun 25, 2010 #6
    Hi all,

I need help to show that the following sequence converges:

n^n/ ((n + 3)^ (n + 1))

I can't seem to find any standard limits which can help prove that it is convergent.

now consider the limit as
  8. Jun 25, 2010 #7

Science Advisor

Mark, the iteration is [itex]x_{n+1}= y(x_n)[/itex] or
    [tex]x_{n+1}= \frac{x_n+ 2}{x_n+1}[/itex]

Assuming that has a limit, L, taking the limit on both sides gives
    [tex]L= \frac{L+2}{L+ 1}[/tex]
    and from that, [itex]L(L+1)= L^2+ L= L+ 2[/itex] so that [itex]L^2= 2[/itex].

henry22, you should be able to show that
    1) If [itex]x_0> \sqrt{2}[/itex] then [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] is a decreasing sequence with lower bound.

2) If [itex]x_0< \sqrt{2}[/itex] then [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] is an increasing sequence with upper bound.
  9. Jun 25, 2010 #8
    Wouldn't an initial value of -1 also be a problem? Also the sequence of starting values -3/2, -7/5, -17/12 ... which reach the value -1 at some stage of iteration.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  10. Jun 25, 2010 #9
    No, if [itex]x_0=-\sqrt{2}[/itex] then [itex]x_n=-\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Also if [itex]x_0=-5/4[/itex] then [itex]x_1=-3<x_0[/itex].

Neither do positive terms behave as suggested. E.g. from the second example [itex]x_2=\frac{1}{2}[/itex], [itex]x_3=\frac{5}{3}>x_2[/itex], [itex]x_4=\frac{11}{8}<x_3[/itex] and [itex]x_5=\frac{27}{19}>x_4[/itex], so the sequence is neither monotonic increasing from [itex]x_2<\sqrt{2}[/itex] nor monotonic decreasing from [itex]x_3>\sqrt{2}[/itex].
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  11. Jun 25, 2010 #10

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook