How to Solve a 2nd Order Non-Homogeneous DE with Repeated Roots?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ElijahRockers
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2nd order
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ElijahRockers
Gold Member
Messages
260
Reaction score
10

Homework Statement



4y''+4y'+y = cos(2t), y(0)=0, y'(0)=0

Homework Equations



y(t)=yh+yp

The Attempt at a Solution



characteristic roots are repeated, m=-1/2, so

[itex]y_h = A_1 e^{\frac{-t}{2}}+A_2 te^{\frac{-t}{2}}[/itex]

undetermined coefficients:

yp = Acos(2t)+Bsin(2t)

plugging into original equation and solving, I got A= -15/289 and B= 8/289

using initial conditions, I got A_1 = 15/289 and A_2 = -47/578

so

[itex]y(t) = \frac{15}{289}e^{\frac{-t}{2}} - \frac{47}{578}te^{\frac{-t}{2}} - \frac{15}{289}sin(2t) + \frac{8}{289}cos(2t)[/itex]

should be the answer, but apparently it's wrong. I have checked over my work and can't find the fault.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your process is correct. You solved L[y] = 0 and your assumption for the solution of L[y] = cos(2t) is also good. It's more than likely an arithmetic error.
 
Checked it a second time. I must've typed something into the calculator wrong at the very end of the question, just my luck.
[itex]-\frac{47}{578}[/itex] should be [itex]-\frac{1}{34}[/itex] instead.