How to Solve a Mixed 2 DOF Vibration Problem with Incorrect Free Body Diagram?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Matthias85
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
I am struggling with the following question, it is a mixed (lever and linear) 2DOF vibration problem, something I never came across before. I am afraid I am missing something on the FBD, thus the differential equations of motions are wrong.

Homework Statement


attachment.php?attachmentid=72315&stc=1&d=1408577741.jpg



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Q1_FBD.jpg
 
Attachments
  • Q1.jpg
    Q1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 759
Physics news on Phys.org
You did the right things to set up the equations of motion, but what are the horizontal displacements of the springs ##k_1## and ##k_2##?

They are not attached at a distance ##L## from the pivot, so they are not ##L\theta##.

Also, be careful with the signs. You have the amount of stretch in ##k_1## as ##L\theta +x## in one equation and ##L\theta -x## in the other. They can't both be right!
 
I see, distance L for each spring is given in question, is it k2 (L/4)θ+x and k1(L/2)θ ?

In which case the differential equation of motion become (now with correct signs)
Iθ + k2 (L/4)θ+x - k1(L/2)θ =0
mx - k2 (L/4)θ+x =0
 
Matthias85 said:
I see, distance L for each spring is given in question, is it k2 (L/4)θ+x and k1(L/2)θ ?

The L/2 and L/4 are right.

With θ and x defined as in the diagram in the question, (L/4)θ and x are both positive to the right. So, is the extension of the spring (L/4)θ+x or (L/4)θ-x ?