1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve convergences when dealing with series

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

shows that the sequence [tex]U(n+1) = \sqrt{2U(n) + 5}[/tex] where U(1) = 3 converges to a limit, u, and find the value of u correct to 2 decimal places.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I only know how to solve convergences when dealing with series lol.

Any help please :)

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the sequence does have a limit L, then the limit must satisfy L=sqrt(2L+5). Do you see why? As for the proof part can you show the sequence is increasing and bounded?

4. Jan 18, 2008 #3
    ooooo

yeah I see why L=sqrt(2L+5).

I still can't go anywhere from here though :S

5. Jan 18, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. Take the function f(x)=sqrt(2x+5). You get the elements in the sequence by finding f(3), f(f(3)), f(f(f(3))) etc. To show that f(x)>x (that the sequence is increasing), you want to show f(x)-x>0. For what values of x is this true?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  6. Jan 18, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't solve that for L? L2= 2L+ 5 so L2- 2L= 5. You can solve that by completing the square: L2- 2L+ 1= 5+ 1= 6. (L- 1)2= 6 so [itex]L- 1= \pm\sqrt{6}[/itex] and [itex]L=1\pm\sqrt{6}[/itex]. Here, since the sequence starts at 3 and increases, [itex]L= 1+ \sqrt{6}[/itex]. Of course, we need to prove that the sequnce is increasing and bounded above so it will converge.

Prove U(n)< U(n+1) for all n, by induction. If n= 1, then U(1)= 3 while U(2)= [itex]2\sqrt{2U(1)+5}= \sqrt{6+ 5}=\sqrt{11}> 3[/itex] (because 11> 9).
    Now, suppose for some k, U(k+1)> U(k). Then U((k+1)+ 1)= [itex]\sqrt{2U(k+1)+ 5}> \sqrt{2U(k)+ 5}= U(k+1)[/itex].

You will also need to prove that the sequence is bounded above. Since (if the sequence has a limit) the limit is [itex]1+ \sqrt{6}[/itex] which is approximately 3.5so you might try proving, again by induction, that U(n)< 4 for all n.

7. Jan 19, 2008 #6
    o sick

thanks for help guys :D

much appreciated

I see it now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?