How to solve for i in compounding interest formula A=P(1+i)^n?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cjp88
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 15K views
cjp88
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I'm having some trouble understanding how to solve for i. This is the formula for compounding interest. I'm reading this example which shows how to solve for i if you double your money in 5 years. So it gives this example:

(A/P)^1/n - 1 = i

So it gives A for 2 and P for 1, n would be 5 so the answer should be:

(2/1)^1/n - 1 = i

They shown the answer as 0.149 however I cannot get this same answer for whatever reason.

When I put in 2/1 I get 2, then 2^1/5 would be 0.4, minus 1 would make it -0.6.

If this answer is indeed right, could someone please show me what I'm missing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]2^\frac{1}{5}[/tex] can't be 0.4, since (0.4)^5 is way smaller than 1 (since 0.4<1).

Since 0.4 = 2/5, you must've raised 2 to the 1th (which is two) and divided that answer by 5.
If you're using a calculator, be sure to put in the brackets correctly: 2^(1/5)-1.
 
I see what the problem was, I wasn't using brackets on my calculator. If I do 2^1/5 I get the wrong answer because it does 2^1 which is 2 then divides by 5 to get 0.4 instead of 2^(1/5) being 1.14869...

Thanks for the help on seeing my error.
 
Yes, if you just put in "2^1/5", your calculator interprets that as (2^1)/5 = 2/5= .4.
Use 2^(1/5) instead.