Question about Compound Interest Formula

In summary, the formula for compounding an investment at a rate of ##r##, ##n## times per year is $$A(t)=P\left(1+\frac{r}{n}\right)^{nt}$$ The 1 in the formula ensures that the new compounded value remains above the initial principal value. Removing the 1 would result in a value less than the initial principal. This formula can also be expressed in terms of capital R returns, which is the accumulated rate of return, and lower case r, which is the cumulative rate of return. The parentheses in the formula indicate that each iteration gives interest on the accumulated interest as well as on the principal, hence the term "compound".
opus
Gold Member
If I have an investment, that is compounded at some rate ##r##, ##n## times per year, it can be written as a function as such:

$$A(t)=P\left(1+\frac{r}{n}\right)^{nt}$$

My question is in regards to the 1 here. I think I have a general idea of what it's for, but I can't really put it into correct words.
What it seems to be doing, is keeping the new compounded value above ##P##. Where if the 1 wasn't there, we would be getting a value less than ##P##. But this seems wishy washy and I'd like to put it into more definitive terms so that I can understand it better. Can anyone help me out with this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If the compounding rate was say 4% per year compounded once per year then the expression would be 1.04 or 104%

Given a hundred dollar loan then with the 104% means after one year we’d need to pay back 104 dollars.

Likes opus
And under the same circumstances, and removing the 1 from inside the parentheses, that would be just $4. And when we do have the one inside the parentheses, we are adding that $4 to the initial principal investment?

Think about it in reverse. So in academic finance you often talk about capital R returns which is A(t+n) / A(t) so the R in the example above is 1.04. Lower case r is then used for the cumulative rate of return which is R-1.

The convenience of thinking about R is that you can then choose any units of time to subdivide you like, and most often you can forget about n and use log returns rather than compound as they are easier to work with so

r annualized = log(R)/t if t is in units of years, for example

Likes opus
opus said:
And under the same circumstances, and removing the 1 from inside the parentheses, that would be just $4. And when we do have the one inside the parentheses, we are adding that $4 to the initial principal investment?
Yes. You can keep your investment. That is the 1 in the formula.

Likes opus
Thanks guys.

The reason for the parentheses is to show that each iteration gives you interest on the accumulated interest as well as on the principal. That's why it is called compound.

Likes opus

1. What is compound interest formula?

The compound interest formula is a mathematical formula used to calculate the interest earned on a principal amount that includes both the initial deposit and the accumulated interest from previous periods. It takes into account the compounding effect, where the interest earned in each period is added to the principal amount, resulting in a higher interest earned in the next period.

2. How is compound interest different from simple interest?

Compound interest differs from simple interest in that it takes into account the interest earned in each period and adds it to the principal amount, resulting in a higher interest earned in the next period. Simple interest, on the other hand, only calculates the interest on the principal amount, without taking into account the interest earned in previous periods.

3. What are the variables in the compound interest formula?

The variables in the compound interest formula are principal amount (P), interest rate (r), number of periods (n), and time (t). P represents the initial deposit or principal amount, r represents the interest rate per period, n represents the number of compounding periods, and t represents the total time period.

4. How do you calculate compound interest?

To calculate compound interest, you can use the formula A = P(1 + r/n)^(nt), where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the interest rate per period, n is the number of compounding periods, and t is the total time period. Alternatively, you can use online compound interest calculators or use a spreadsheet program to perform the calculation.

5. How can compound interest be used in financial planning?

Compound interest can be used in financial planning to estimate the growth of investments or savings over time. By understanding the impact of compounding, individuals can make informed decisions on how much to save or invest, for how long, and at what interest rate to reach their financial goals. It is also important to consider the effects of inflation and taxes when using compound interest for financial planning.