How to Solve for x in a Logarithmic Equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter rtwikia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving logarithms and finding the value of x. The initial attempt involved changing the base and using substitution, but a formal method was desired. The hint of multiplying through by log(x) and substituting u = log(x) led to a quadratic equation, which was solved to find that x = 10.
rtwikia
The question is
\(\displaystyle \log_{x}\left({10}\right)+log(x)=2\)
where (obviously) I have to find x.

I tried changing the base,
$\frac{log(10)}{log(x)}+log(x)=2$
$\frac{1}{log(x)}+log(x)=2$
${log(x)}^{-1}+log(x)=log(100)$​
but I could go no further. Whatever I try, I always got a wrong answer.

By guessing and substitution, I found that the answer should be 10. But is there any formal method to find that out?:confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint: multiply through by $\log(x)$ then substitute $u = \log(x)$, you are left with a quadratic equation in $u$.

rtwikia said:
The question is
\(\displaystyle \log_{x}\left({10}\right)+log(x)=2\)

Is this the correct problem statement? If so, what is the base of $\log(x)$?

greg1313 said:
Is this the correct problem statement? If so, what is the base of $\log(x)$?

Should be 10?

\(\displaystyle \log_x(10)+\log(10)=2\)

\(\displaystyle \log_x(10)=1\)

Can you continue?

Last edited:
greg1313 said:
\(\displaystyle \log_x(10)+\log(10)=2\)

\(\displaystyle \log_x(10)=1\)

Can you continue?

Of course, if it is known that x=10 then I can do that. However I'm not sure that 10 is the answer, so...I'll just try to solve the quadratic(Nerd)

Bacterius said:
Hint: multiply through by $\log(x)$ then substitute $u = \log(x)$, you are left with a quadratic equation in $u$.

YES it worked!(Rock)

$\log_{x}\left({10}\right)\cdot\log\left({x}\right)+(\log\left({x}\right))^2=2\cdot\log\left({x}\right)$
$\frac{1}{\log\left({x}\right)}\cdot\log\left({x}\right)+(\log\left({x}\right))^2=2\cdot\log\left({x}\right)$
$1+u^2=2u$
$u^2-2u+1=0$​
$u=\frac{-(-2)\pm\sqrt{4-4}}{2}=1$

$\log\left({x}\right)=1$
$x=10^1=10$

Thank you!:D

Yup. I misread the problem. Sorry about that. :eek:

greg1313 said:
Yup. I misread the problem. Sorry about that. :eek:

Never mind. Thanks anyway.:)

Related to How to Solve for x in a Logarithmic Equation?

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is used to determine the power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given value. For example, if the logarithm base 10 of 100 is 2, this means that 10 raised to the power of 2 equals 100.

2. What are the properties of logarithms?

The three main properties of logarithms are:

• The logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of each factor.
  • The logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator.
  • The logarithm of a power is equal to the exponent multiplied by the logarithm of the base.

3. How do logarithms relate to exponential functions?

Logarithms and exponential functions are closely related, as they are inverse operations. This means that if an exponential function has the form y = a^x, the inverse function, which is the logarithm, will have the form y = loga(x). In other words, logarithms undo the effects of exponential functions.

4. What is the use of logarithms in real life?

Logarithms have many practical applications in fields such as finance, chemistry, and physics. In finance, logarithms are used to calculate compound interest and to model growth and decay in investments. In chemistry, they are used to measure the pH of a solution. In physics, logarithms are used to quantify the intensity of earthquakes and sound waves.

5. How are logarithms calculated?

Logarithms can be calculated using a scientific calculator or by using logarithm tables. To find the logarithm of a number, you need to know the base of the logarithm and the number itself. For example, to find the logarithm base 10 of 100, you would enter "log(100)" into a calculator, which would give you the answer of 2.