Solve for ##x## in the given logarithmic equation

In summary, according to this discussion,#\frac{1}{log_x 2}+#\frac{1}{log_x 3}+#\frac{1}{log_x 6}=#3.6
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Find ##x## to three significant figures given;

$$\frac{1}{log_x 2}+ \frac{1}{log_x 3}+\frac{1}{log_x 6}= 3.6$$
Relevant Equations
Logarithms (change of base)
##\frac{1}{log_x 2}##+ ##\frac{1}{log_x 3}##+##\frac{1}{log_x 6}##=## 3.6##
##log_2x + log_3x+log_6x =3.6##
##log_2x ##+##\frac{log_2x}{log_2 3}##+##\frac{log_2x}{log_2 6}##=##3.6##
##log_2x ##[1+ ##\frac{1}{1.58496}##+##\frac{1}{2.58496}]##=##3.6##
hmmmm it took me some time here to note that,
(##log_2x ##)×(##2.01778##)=##3.6## (1)

i was stuck on thinking that ##log_2 2.01778x##= ##3.6 ##, ##→2^{3.6} = 2.01778x ## which is a wrong approach.

Therefore, from (1) above, we shall have;
##log_2x ##=##\frac{3.6}{2.01778}##
##log_2x ##=##1.78413##
##→2^{1.78413}## = ##x##
##x=3.44## bingo,

I am seeking any other alternative method...

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything better. Your solution looks good.

Likes Delta2
Cheers Perok, great day...

Likes Delta2
So in essence, ##log_2 x[2]##≠##log_2 2x##...

Last edited:
chwala said:
So in essence, ##log_2 x[2]##≠##log_2 2x##...
What does ##\log_2 x[2]## mean?
##\log_2(2x) = \log_2(2) + \log_2(x) = 1 + \log_2(x)##

Mark44 said:
What does ##\log_2 x[2]## mean?
##\log_2(2x) = \log_2(2) + \log_2(x) = 1 + \log_2(x)##
I meant ##\log_2 x⋅2## ...Kindly look at this in the context of the above problem ...

Last edited:
chwala said:
I meant ##\log_2 x•2## ...Kindly look at this in the context of the above problem ...
I've followed this thread all the way through, so I'm aware of the context. Your use of brackets in the expression ##\log_2 x[2]## threw me off. It would be much clearer with parentheses around the log argument; i.e., as ##\log_2 (x) \cdot 2##, which is better written as ##2\log_2(x)##.

The latter expression is equal to ##\log_2(x^2)##, which is different from ##\log_2(2x)##.

Likes chwala
Just a minute Mark, is that really correct? I do not think we can re- write, ##log_2 x⋅2## as ##2log_2 x##... Looking at laws of Logarithms, ##2 log_2 x ##=## log_2 x^{2}##...which isn't what we are dealing with in our problem. Kindly clarify on this with our problem in mind.

Ok I think I see your point, with parentheses in mind...cheers

Last edited:
Yes, my point is that parentheses around the argument make it easier to distinguish ##\log_2(x \cdot 2)## from ##\log_2(x) \cdot 2##.

Changing the base of the logarithm from ##~x~## to that of natural logarithm,
##{~~~~}{ \small { \rm {log} }_x~N } = \frac { { \rm {log} }_e~N } { { \rm {log} }_e~x } = \frac { { \rm {ln} }~N } { { \rm {ln} }~x }~\Rightarrow~{ \small { \rm {ln} }~x~{\rm {log} }_x~N } = { \small { \rm {ln} }~N }##
so one gets
##{~~~}\frac 1{ {\rm {log}}_x~2} + \frac 1{ {\rm {log}}_x~3} + \frac 1{ {\rm {log}}_x~6} = { \small 3.6 }~\Rightarrow~\frac { { \rm {ln} }~x } { {\rm {ln}}~2 } + \frac { { \rm {ln} }~x } { {\rm {ln}}~3 } + \frac { { \rm {ln} }~x } { {\rm {ln}}~6 } = { \small 3.6 }##
##{~~~}\Rightarrow~\frac 1{ {\rm {ln}}~2 } + \frac 1{ {\rm {ln}}~3 } + \frac 1{ {\rm {ln}}~6 } = \frac { 3.6 } { { \rm {ln} }~x } = { \small 2.911045 } ##
##{~~~~}{ \small { \rm {ln} }~x } = \frac {3.6} {2.911045} = { \small 1.236669 } ##
##{~~~}\Rightarrow~{ \small x } = e^{1.236669} = { \small 3.444 }##

Likes chwala

1. What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation that involves logarithms, which are mathematical functions that represent the inverse of exponential functions. In other words, logarithmic equations involve solving for the exponent in an exponential equation.

2. How do I solve for x in a logarithmic equation?

To solve for x in a logarithmic equation, you will need to use logarithmic properties and algebraic techniques to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This may involve using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or change of base formula.

3. What are some common logarithmic equations?

Some common logarithmic equations include equations with a single logarithm, such as log(x) = a, and equations with multiple logarithms, such as log(x) + log(y) = a. These equations may also include constants and variables in the logarithm argument.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve logarithmic equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve logarithmic equations. However, it is important to make sure your calculator is set to the correct base for the logarithm you are using. Some calculators may also have a "log" button that automatically inputs the base for you.

5. Are there any restrictions when solving logarithmic equations?

Yes, there are a few restrictions to keep in mind when solving logarithmic equations. The argument of a logarithm must always be positive, so any values that make the argument negative or zero are not valid solutions. Additionally, some logarithmic equations may have extraneous solutions, so it is important to check your solutions in the original equation to make sure they are valid.