1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve sqrt(25) + sqrt(30)?

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm a bit confused on how to add something like this [tex]\sqrt{}25[/tex]+[tex]\sqrt{}30[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know this is an easy thing to do but im a little confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2
    Re: Radicals

how else could you write root 25??

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3

Oh i see. that wasnt a good example. how would you add [tex]\sqrt{}22[/tex]+[tex]\sqrt{}30[/tex] that is wa better example of what i am trying to say. somthing that is not a perfect square.

5. Mar 8, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't really express it more simply than it already is. You could write sqrt(2)*(sqrt(11)+sqrt(15)). But that's not really much, if any, simpler.

6. Mar 8, 2009 #5

this is a problem I am working on (1+[tex]\sqrt{}26[/tex])(3-2[tex]\sqrt{}23[/tex]
    i simplified it down to 2[tex]\sqrt{}26[/tex]*[tex]\sqrt{}23[/tex]
    if it was a normal problem without a number outside the radicals you would just take in both numbers inside a radical and multiply them but theres a 2 outside the radical of 26.

7. Mar 8, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you simplified (1+sqrt(26))*(3-2*sqrt(23)) down to 2*sqrt(26)*sqrt(23), you did it wrong. That's going to be ugly however you write it.

8. Mar 8, 2009 #7

so you cant add the two up?

9. Mar 8, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not in any simple way, no.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook