How to Solve the Equation [(√2) +1]²¹ = [(√2)-1]*[3+2(√2)]˟ˉ¹ for x?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter devanlevin
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
devanlevin
how do i solve this equatio?
[(√2) +1]²¹=[(√2)-1]*[3+2(√2)]˟ˉ¹


(√2) is sqare root of 2

hhow do i find x?

how can i divide [(√2) +1]²¹ by =[(√2)-1]
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
devanlevin said:
how do i solve this equatio?
[(√2) +1]²¹=[(√2)-1]*[3+2(√2)]˟ˉ¹


(√2) is sqare root of 2

hhow do i find x?

how can i divide [(√2) +1]²¹ by =[(√2)-1]

there's your x Borek.
 
Perhaps I am missing something, or it is just my computer glitch, but I have no idea where and what the unknown is and I can't see it with this formatting neither in Opera nor in IE. I see either some square or nothing on the right - but even after checking its code (#735) I am not wiser, as by name that's "swedish grave accent"...

Is it shaped as x? Is this the equation?

[tex](\sqrt 2 + 1) ^{21} = \frac {(\sqrt 2 - 1)(3+2 \sqrt 2)} {x}[/tex]
 
I'm confused as well. It appears that the x is located as an exponent of [3 + 2*sqrt(2)], more like:

[3 + 2*sqrt(2)]^(x-1)
 
Last edited:
Something like

[tex](\sqrt 2 + 1) ^{21} = (\sqrt 2 - 1)(3+2 \sqrt 2) ^{x-1}[/tex]
 
Borek said:
Something like

[tex](\sqrt 2 + 1) ^{21} = (\sqrt 2 - 1)(3+2 \sqrt 2) ^{x-1}[/tex]

Yeah like that.

Sorry about what I posted earlier, I changed it since I accidently put -x instead of x-1 :smile:
 
So your problem is simply to solve a= bcx-1 where a, b, c are numbers?

Surely you see that cx-1= (a/b). Now take the logarithm of both sides.
 
First , you can write
[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}-1}=\frac{\sqrt{2}+1}{(\sqrt{2}+1)(\sqrt{2}-1)}=\sqrt{2}+1.[/tex]
Also,
[tex] (\sqrt{2}+1)^2=2+2\sqrt{2}+1=3+2\sqrt{2}.[/tex]
Hopefully, that helps
 
Your equation is of the form:
[tex]a=b*c^{x-1}[/tex]
where a,b,c are ugly numbers.
Solve for x in this GENERAL form first, and then, if you absolutely have to, substitute them with your ugly numbers.
 
arildno said:
Your equation is of the form:
[tex]a=b*c^{x-1}[/tex]
where a,b,c are ugly numbers.
Solve for x in this GENERAL form first, and then, if you absolutely have to, substitute them with your ugly numbers.

I disagree totally with this. The general answer would be x=log(a/b)/log(c)+1, but the point of the original question seems to be to do some simple arithmetic in [tex]Z[\sqrt{2}][/itex], and the answer is an integer, and can be solved exactly without resorting to log tables or a calculator. Expressed as logs, that would not be clear.[/tex]