How to solve this unsolved time & distance problem?

• Thread starter Benjamin_harsh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: Your ##x=vt## would mean that a person was at ##x=0## at ##t=0##, and at ##x=1v## at ##t=1##, and at ##x=2v## at ##t=2##, and at ##x=3v## at ##t=3##.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
A and B leave their places and start moving towards each other. If they are 50m apart after both 2 min and 3 mins, how far are their places?
Relevant Equations
So, at 2 minutes - distance traveled by A = 2x and similarly by B = 2y
A and B leave their places and start moving towards each other. If they are 50m apart after both 2 min and 3 mins, how far are their places?

I can able to draw a diagram for this problem:

2T9Jubi.jpg
Take distance between their places as D

Speed of A = x meter /minutes
Speed of B = y meter/minutes

From here, how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Benjamin_harsh said:
Homework Statement:: A and B leave their places and start moving towards each other. If they are 50m apart after both 2 min and 3 mins, how far are their places?
Homework Equations:: So, at 2 minutes - distance traveled by A = 2x and similarly by B = 2y

Presumably, since the times are different, one of the two started one minute before the other one.
Benjamin_harsh said:
I can able to draw a diagram for this problem:

View attachment 253786Take distance between their places as D

Speed of A = x meter /minutes
Speed of B = y meter/minutes

From here, how to proceed?
I think that the best you can do with this problem is to write an equation that represents the distance D in terms of the distance A has gone plus the distance B has gone plus the remaining 50 meters between them. You'll have one equation with two unknowns, so you won't be able to get a numeric value for D without further information.

I think the point is that at 2 minutes, they still have 50m to go to meet each other and at 3 minutes they have passed each other and are 50m apart again.

This let's you write down two equations for position which can be solved simultaneously.

Likes WWGD and ehild
Ibix said:
At 2 minutes, they still have 50m to go to meet each other

At 3 minutes they have passed each other and are 50m apart again.

How to write equations for this 2 sentences?

They didn't mention total distance also.

If you start at position ##x_0## and move at velocity ##v##, what's your position at time ##t##?

Ibix said:
If you start at position ##x_0## and move at velocity ##v##, what's your position at time ##t##?
Position will be ##vt##

Ibix said:
I think the point is that at 2 minutes, they still have 50m to go to meet each other and at 3 minutes they have passed each other and are 50m apart again.
That's not how I interpret what the OP wrote:
If they are 50m apart after both 2 min and 3 mins, how far are their places?
@Benjamin_harsh, what does this mean?
I interpreted this to mean that one of them had been moving for 2 min. and the other for 3 min.
@Ibix interprets this to mean that after 2 minutes, they are 50 m. apart, but that they meet a minute later.

Mark44 said:
@Ibix interprets this to mean that after 2 minutes, they are 50 m. apart, but that they meet a minute later.
Well - that they meet half a minute later and are 50m away again at the 3 minute mark. But yes, basically.

I think my interpretation makes sense because it's soluble. But is the wording in the OP the exact question, @Benjamin_harsh? If not, please post the exact words used in your problem sheet/text book/whatever.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I agree with @Ibix's interpretation.

Ibix said:
Well - that they meet half a minute later and are 50m away again at the 3 minute mark. But yes, basically.
That's a reasonable interpretation that hadn't occurred to me.

Since they are at distance 50 at both 2 and 3 minutes (constant speeds), can you see when they are at 0 distance? What does that tell you about their relative speed and, therefore, how far apart they were to begin with?

Ibix said:
Regardless of ##x_0##?
position should be ##x_0vt##.

Benjamin_harsh said:
position should be ##x_0vt##.
No - that would imply that the position is zero at ##t=0##, and the units don't work. Your earlier ##x=vt## is correct if you start at ##x=0## at ##t=0##. What do you have to do to zero to make it a different constant ##x_0##?

There is a "dirt-simple" way to solve the problem. Use observation of symmetry to see when and where the two are together. Then use that to determine the rate of relative motion. Finally, use that to see how far apart they were at time zero.

Ibix said:
No?
I understood clearly now. New position will be ##x_vt##.

No.

Your ##x=vt## would mean that a person was at ##x=0## at ##t=0##, and at ##x=1v## at ##t=1##, and at ##x=2v## at ##t=2##, and at ##x=3v## at ##t=3##.

If you want your person to be at ##x=x_0## at ##t=0##, and at ##x=x_0+1v## at ##t=1##, and at ##x=x_0+2v## at ##t=2##, and ##x=x_0+3v## at ##t=3##, what equation describes its motion?

Ibix said:
If you want your person to be at ##x=x_0## at ##t=0##, and at ##x=x_0+1v## at ##t=1##
How you got ##x = x_0 + 1v## at ## t = 1##?

Benjamin_harsh said:
How you got ##x = x_0 + 1v## at ## t = 1##?
Because the person moved a distance ##vt## from their starting point, and the time was 1 (in whatever units we're using).

So New position formula: old position + velocity *time.

Yes. So can you write that in terms of the symbols ##x_0##, ##v## and ##t##?

##X = X_0 + v_t## Now how should i proceed?

Benjamin_harsh said:
So New position formula: old position + velocity *time.
Yes.
Benjamin_harsh said:
##X = X_0 + v_t##
No. This isn't the same as your formula in words. In your equation you are adding a position (##X_0##) to a velocity (which you wrote as ##v_t##). The units make no sense: you can't add meters and meters/sec.

The ##t## shouldn't be a subscript, but otherwise fine.

Now you have two people starting at different positions and possibly moving at different speeds. Call the speeds ##u## and ##v##. Say one person starts at position 0 at ##t=0## and one at position ##d## at ##t=0##.

You should now be able to write two versions of your equation, one for each person.

Ibix said:
You should now be able to write two versions of your equation, one for each person.

First person position = old first person position + ut

Second person position =
old second person position + vt

Now use the letters I suggested. There is no way you are going to do algebra writing expressions out in words like that.

Last edited:
$$ x_b-120v=50$$
$$ x_b-180v=-50$$ where v is the velocity of a relative to b.

1. How do I approach solving an unsolved time and distance problem?

First, start by understanding the problem and identifying any given information. Then, use the appropriate formula or equation to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. What are some common formulas or equations used to solve time and distance problems?

Some common formulas include distance = speed x time, average speed = total distance / total time, and time = distance / speed. It is important to choose the formula that best fits the given information in the problem.

3. How can I check if my solution is correct for a time and distance problem?

You can check your solution by plugging your answer back into the given formula or equation and seeing if it results in the given information. You can also use estimation or unit analysis to check if your answer is reasonable.

4. What should I do if I get stuck while solving a time and distance problem?

If you get stuck, try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or drawing a diagram to visualize the information. You can also ask for help from a teacher or classmate, or look for similar solved problems to use as a guide.

5. Can time and distance problems have more than one solution?

Yes, time and distance problems can have multiple solutions. This may occur when there is not enough information given in the problem, or when there are multiple variables involved. It is important to carefully read the problem and determine if there are any restrictions or constraints that would limit the number of solutions.