1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve when x is an exponent and a base

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    Just out of curiosity, I was wondering how to solve for x in an expression of the form
    ax = xb

It kinda tripped me out at first.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no way in general to solve this kind of equation in terms of elementary functions.

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    You can try manipulating it to fit the lambert W function I think.

5. Apr 12, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. Taking the "b"th root of both sides, [itex](a^{1/b})^x= x[/itex] so that [itex]1= xe^{-(1/b)(ln a)x}[/itex]. Multiply on both sides by -(1/b)ln a: [itex]-(1/b)ln a[/itex][itex]= (-(1/b)(ln a)x)e^{-(1/b)(ln a)x}[/itex].

Letting y= -(1/b)(ln a)x, that becomes [itex]ye^y= -(1/b)ln a[/itex]. Using the Lambert W function (which is defined as the inverse function to f(x)= xex) we have y= W(-(1/b)ln a).

Then [itex]x= -\frac{b}{ln a}W(-(1/b)ln a)[/itex]

6. Apr 12, 2010 #5
    Is there any way to simplify this expression, or is this the bare bones? How would one procede to calculate this value?

7. Apr 12, 2010 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are numerical methods, like Newton's method or the secant method, that can give numerical values for the W function -- or even your original function directly. (If you just want the W function, there are optimizations that can be used to make it go faster.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook