How to spin a gear at a slower rate without a bigger gear?

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear wire that needs to spin a small gear 90 degrees for every 1 inch it moves without using a bigger gear due to space constraints. Suggestions are made for using a system of pulleys, a lever, or a planetary gear set to accomplish this task. Other possibilities such as a worm and wheel are also mentioned.
kolleamm
I have a linear wire that moves let's say a distance of 1 inch.
I would like this wire to spin a small gear (0.25 in circumference) 90 degrees for every 1 inch it moves. How can I accomplish this without using a bigger gear?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
I have a linear wire that moves let's say a distance of 1 inch.
I would like this wire to spin a small gear (0.25 in circumference) 90 degrees for every 1 inch it moves. How can I accomplish this without using a bigger gear?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance
It seems like you could do that with a system of pulleys or a lever.

Likes kolleamm
tnich said:
It seems like you could do that with a system of pulleys or a lever.
Thanks that might work

kolleamm said:
Thanks that might work
When you say "a bigger gear" are you ruling out putting a larger wheel on the same shaft as the small gear?

Depending on what end result you are after, a Planetary Gear set is one possibility. The drawback is they are a little complex, and it's hard to get your brain to grasp them.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes kolleamm
tnich said:
When you say "a bigger gear" are you ruling out putting a larger wheel on the same shaft as the small gear?
Basically I have a space constraint and having a big gear wouldn't allow things to fit, more smaller parts wouldn't be a problem though.

Planetary gears have been used by model aircraft flyers for many years. They have another advantage in that the shafts are concentric (no offset) so the overall diameter can be reduced so they fit more easily into the streamlined nose. Maxon make a good range of small gearboxes.

Worm and wheel? (Good for a big reduction.)

Likes kolleamm, Tom.G and CWatters
Good ideas everyone! Thanks a lot!

1. How can I reduce the speed of a gear without using a larger gear?

One way to reduce the speed of a gear without using a larger gear is by using a gear reduction system. This involves connecting multiple gears together in a series, with each gear being smaller than the previous one. The overall speed reduction is determined by the ratio of the gear sizes.

2. Can I use a different type of gear to achieve a slower speed?

Yes, there are various types of gears that can be used to achieve a slower speed. For example, worm gears and bevel gears are often used for speed reduction due to their unique tooth configurations. It's important to consider the specific requirements and limitations of your application when selecting a gear type.

3. Is it possible to change the gear ratio without physically changing the gears?

Yes, it is possible to change the gear ratio without physically changing the gears. This can be accomplished by using a variable speed drive, such as a belt and pulley system or a gear train with an adjustable center distance. These systems allow for the speed to be adjusted while maintaining the same gear sizes.

4. How does the number of teeth on a gear affect its speed?

The number of teeth on a gear is directly related to its speed. The larger the gear, the slower it will rotate. This is because the number of teeth determines the gear ratio, which is the ratio between the speed of the driving gear and the speed of the driven gear.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when trying to achieve a slower gear speed?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when trying to achieve a slower gear speed. These include the efficiency of the gear system, the material and quality of the gears, and the lubrication and maintenance of the gears. It's important to ensure that all components of the gear system are properly selected and maintained for optimal performance.