How to spin a gear at a slower rate without a bigger gear?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gear Rate Spin
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
kolleamm
Messages
476
Reaction score
44
I have a linear wire that moves let's say a distance of 1 inch.
I would like this wire to spin a small gear (0.25 in circumference) 90 degrees for every 1 inch it moves. How can I accomplish this without using a bigger gear?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
I have a linear wire that moves let's say a distance of 1 inch.
I would like this wire to spin a small gear (0.25 in circumference) 90 degrees for every 1 inch it moves. How can I accomplish this without using a bigger gear?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance
It seems like you could do that with a system of pulleys or a lever.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kolleamm
tnich said:
It seems like you could do that with a system of pulleys or a lever.
Thanks that might work
 
kolleamm said:
Thanks that might work
When you say "a bigger gear" are you ruling out putting a larger wheel on the same shaft as the small gear?
 
Depending on what end result you are after, a Planetary Gear set is one possibility. The drawback is they are a little complex, and it's hard to get your brain to grasp them.




Cheers,
Tom
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kolleamm
tnich said:
When you say "a bigger gear" are you ruling out putting a larger wheel on the same shaft as the small gear?
Basically I have a space constraint and having a big gear wouldn't allow things to fit, more smaller parts wouldn't be a problem though.
 
Planetary gears have been used by model aircraft flyers for many years. They have another advantage in that the shafts are concentric (no offset) so the overall diameter can be reduced so they fit more easily into the streamlined nose. Maxon make a good range of small gearboxes.
 
Worm and wheel? (Good for a big reduction.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kolleamm, Tom.G and CWatters