How to start? (aim:astronautics)

• Thread starter arianabedi
  • Start date
In summary, this person is looking for advice on what to do next regarding getting into astronautical engineering. They are studying under the IGCSE system and have recently finished their exams. They are undecided on what to do next.
arianabedi
Hi,

This question might have been repeated quite a lot in these forums but well i rather have a topic of my own to see the answers.

As the very confusing title of mine suggests , I have set my aim to get in the astronautical engineering. Now since its a very "high tech" segment not many people around me know about it (or even recognize the name for that matter) so its hard for me to research (google is last chance). I know that astronautical engineering is engineering regarding space flight, and i am completely in love with it (since I was 5-6).

Academic wise i am studding under the IGCSE system ( international GCSE, british system.) and I have recently finished giving my exams (havent received results, waiting till 12th August.) but my predicted grades are 6 As and 2Bs (from total of 8 subjects).

With that being said. I am now at the point where i am trying to contact universities, (ofcorse i will be studding my A levels *year 12* as well) but i am stuck on what i am actually applying for.

its the simple question of:

Should i start from Mechanical Engineering and working my way to Aerospace/Astronautics OR should I just start studding Aerospace from the beginning?

From my own knowledge, if i start with mechanical i will have more job opportunities if in any way plains and space ships get thrown in the bin. On the other hand i *not wasting* will be spending a lot of time studding mechanical engineering while i could expand and focus my knowledge in the aeronautics/astronautics field.

All your replys would be very helpful

Physics news on Phys.org
arianabedi said:
Hi,

This question might have been repeated quite a lot in these forums but well i rather have a topic of my own to see the answers.

As the very confusing title of mine suggests , I have set my aim to get in the astronautical engineering. Now since its a very "high tech" segment not many people around me know about it (or even recognize the name for that matter) so its hard for me to research (google is last chance). I know that astronautical engineering is engineering regarding space flight, and i am completely in love with it (since I was 5-6).

Academic wise i am studding under the IGCSE system ( international GCSE, british system.) and I have recently finished giving my exams (havent received results, waiting till 12th August.) but my predicted grades are 6 As and 2Bs (from total of 8 subjects).

With that being said. I am now at the point where i am trying to contact universities, (ofcorse i will be studding my A levels *year 12* as well) but i am stuck on what i am actually applying for.

its the simple question of:

Should i start from Mechanical Engineering and working my way to Aerospace/Astronautics OR should I just start studding Aerospace from the beginning?

From my own knowledge, if i start with mechanical i will have more job opportunities if in any way plains and space ships get thrown in the bin. On the other hand i *not wasting* will be spending a lot of time studding mechanical engineering while i could expand and focus my knowledge in the aeronautics/astronautics field.

All your replys would be very helpful

HEY Bro,
I don't know whether you hhave seen my question or not but actually I am going through same predicament...and in two days I've received only one reply but i don't want you to be dissapointed ...i'm in contact with some persons who can help us out so don't worry i'll do my best to help us both
Regards

Great! That would be very hlepful.
I hope you get your answer too :D
regards

1. How do I become an astronaut?

To become an astronaut, you must have a bachelor's degree in a science or engineering field, as well as at least 3 years of related work experience. You must also pass a physical exam and complete rigorous training programs.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in astronautics?

Some important skills for a career in astronautics include critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, teamwork, and strong math and science abilities. Attention to detail and physical fitness are also important.

3. How can I gain relevant experience for a career in astronautics?

You can gain relevant experience by pursuing internships or co-op programs with aerospace companies or government agencies. You can also participate in research projects or join organizations related to astronautics.

4. What are the job prospects for a career in astronautics?

The job prospects for a career in astronautics are expected to grow as space exploration and research continue to expand. However, competition for positions may be high due to the specialized nature of the field.

5. What are some challenges faced by astronauts in space?

Astronauts face many challenges in space, including the effects of microgravity on the human body, isolation and confinement, and the potential for equipment malfunctions or emergencies. They also have to manage their mental and emotional well-being during long-duration missions.