How to study Theoretical Mechanics?

In summary, the necessary mathematical prerequisites for self-studying theoretical mechanics include a strong understanding of single variable calculus, basic knowledge of multivariable calculus and linear algebra, and the ability to work with different coordinate systems. Additionally, familiarity with calculus of variations, ordinary differential equations, vector analysis, and tensors is recommended. One could also benefit from reading related chapters in Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken. While courses like the one taught by Leonard Susskind offer a minimum knowledge of the subject, it is recommended to take more extended courses for a deeper understanding.
Sidvlpr0142
I know Single variable Calculus and I have a basic understanding of multivariable calculus. I also happen to know basic linear algebra. What are the mathematical pre-requisites needed in order to self-study theoretical mechanics?
I'm planning to take this course http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses/classical-mechanics/2011/fall taught by Leonard Susskind. I'm a first year fall (first term) 2014 mathematical physics student.

Physics news on Phys.org
Knowing some calculus of variations and also methods of solving ordinary differential equations will help too. You should also be able to work with different coordinate systems. Some knowledge of vector analysis and a little about tensors is good too. I think reading the related chapters from Mathematical methods for Physicists by Arfken will give you what you need.
I should say those courses, as the name implies, just give a minimum knowledge about what's going on. To actually learn it, you should take more extended courses.

Shyan has told you everything you need, but I'd like to stress the importance of multivariable calculus. In particular, you are better to deeply understand the difference between partial derivative, total derivative and differential

Thanks a lot. Yes, I have a theoretical mechanics course the third term in my university. But I just can't wait for it. Plus I have a lot of time, so why not spend it.

To effectively study theoretical mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics. Single variable calculus, basic understanding of multivariable calculus, and basic linear algebra are all important prerequisites for studying theoretical mechanics. These mathematical concepts are essential for understanding the fundamental principles and equations of classical mechanics.

In addition to these prerequisites, it would also be beneficial to have a basic understanding of differential equations and vector calculus. These mathematical tools are commonly used in theoretical mechanics to model and solve complex systems.

As for the course you are planning to take with Leonard Susskind, it seems like a great opportunity to deepen your understanding of theoretical mechanics. I would recommend reviewing your knowledge of single variable calculus and multivariable calculus before starting the course, as well as brushing up on your linear algebra skills. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with differential equations and vector calculus before diving into the course material.

Overall, it is important to have a strong mathematical background in order to effectively study theoretical mechanics. With the right prerequisites and a dedicated approach to learning, you will be well-equipped to self-study this fascinating subject. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is Theoretical Mechanics?

Theoretical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause motion. It is based on mathematical models and principles to understand the behavior of physical systems.

2. How do I approach studying Theoretical Mechanics?

To study Theoretical Mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. It is also important to have a good understanding of Newton's laws of motion and basic physics concepts.

3. What are some effective study strategies for Theoretical Mechanics?

It is helpful to break down the material into smaller chunks and focus on understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing equations. Practice problems and working through examples are also effective study strategies for Theoretical Mechanics.

4. Are there any recommended resources for studying Theoretical Mechanics?

There are many textbooks and online resources available for studying Theoretical Mechanics. Some popular textbooks include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free lectures and practice problems.

5. What are some common applications of Theoretical Mechanics?

Theoretical Mechanics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and robotics. It is used to design and analyze structures, predict the motion of celestial bodies, and develop control systems for robots, among other things.