How to Tackle Pre-Calculus Problems Effectively?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Samanthalovesmath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects and applications of quadratic functions. The main points include finding quadratic functions with given x-intercepts and understanding how the value of a affects the x-intercepts, axis of symmetry, vertex, and midpoint of the x-intercepts. There is also a mention of completing the square to find the vertex.
Samanthalovesmath
How would I approach this?

Attachments

• D5B2ED58-E630-4A74-A30F-220C92785AFE_4_5005_c.jpeg
    D5B2ED58-E630-4A74-A30F-220C92785AFE_4_5005_c.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 61
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Read quadratic chapter once these are direct questions from theory.

You are told that "A quadratic equation of the form $f(x)= ax^2+ bx+ c$ with $b^2- 4ac$ can also be written $f(x)= a(x- r_1)(x- r_2)$ where $r_1$ and $r_2$ are the x-intercepts of the graph of the quadratic function".

Then you are asked to "(a) Find a quadratic function whose x-intercepts are -5 and 1 with a= 1, a= 2, a= -2, and a= 6."

Do you understand that these are 4 different problems with four different answers? Since you are told that the "x-intercepts are -5 and 1" you know immediately that the function is f(x)= a(x- (-5))(x- 1)= a(x+ 5)(x- 1). Then just put in the four different values of a.

(b) How does the value of a affect the intercepts?
Since you have just written four different functions with different values of a but exactly the same x-intercepts, it should be clear that the value of a does NOT affect the x-intercepts. However, this question might be referring to the y-intercept, where x= 0, as well. f(0)= a(0+ 5)(0- 1)= -5a. How does the value of a affect that?

(c) How does the value of a affect the axis of symmetry?
Do you know what the "axis of symmetry" is? You should know that the graph of a quadratic function is a parabola. By "completing the square" you can always write the quadratic as $f(x)= a(x- b)^2+ c$ for some numbers a, b, and c. Then the "axis of symmetry" is x= b because $y= (x- b)^2$ is symmetric about x= b. Here the function is $f(x)= a(x+5)(x- 1)= a(x^2+5x- x- 5)= a(x^2+ 4x- 5)$. Do you know how to "complete the square"? How does the value of a affect that?

d) How does the value of a affect the vertex.
Once you have "completed the square" so that the function is written $f(x)= a(x- b)^2+ c$, the "vertex" is at (b, c).

e) Compare the x-coordinate of the vertex with the midpoint of the x-intercepts. What might you can conclude?
You were told that the x-intercepts were -5 and 1. The midpoint of that interval is (-5+ 1)/2= -4/2= -2. What was the x-coordinate of the vertex?

I started a collection of Pre Calculus problems with MHB replies
I am sure it will help a lot as the list grows longer
https://dl.orangedox.com/QS7cBvdKw55RQUbliE

Mahalo

Related to How to Tackle Pre-Calculus Problems Effectively?

1. What is Pre-Calculus?

Pre-Calculus is a branch of mathematics that prepares students for higher level math courses such as Calculus. It covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and analytical geometry.

2. Why is Pre-Calculus important?

Pre-Calculus is important because it provides students with a strong foundation in math that is necessary for success in college and many STEM careers. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Pre-Calculus?

Some ways to improve your understanding of Pre-Calculus include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and using online resources such as videos and practice problems.

4. What are some common challenges students face in Pre-Calculus?

Some common challenges students face in Pre-Calculus include understanding complex concepts, applying formulas correctly, and managing time effectively during exams.

5. How can I overcome my struggles with Pre-Calculus?

To overcome struggles with Pre-Calculus, it is important to identify your weaknesses and focus on improving them. Seek help from a tutor or teacher, practice regularly, and stay organized with notes and study materials.