I don't know if I should keep reviewing my undergraduate math

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's hesitation and frustration with reviewing material that they do not plan on using in the near future. They also mention difficulties with math problems and the idea of applying the math to more interesting and relevant scenarios. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of teaching the material to someone else as a way of learning.
Eclair_de_XII
On one hand, I'm afraid I'm going to forget how to do it. On the other, some of the material feels tedious and stale. Sometimes, I encounter material I've covered and have never had to use outside the class I learned it in, which is sort of discouraging. I'm already having difficulty tackling some of the problems in my old elementary calculus book, having switched back to it after concluding that I wasn't too fond of the other textbook I had been using. Sometimes, it feels tedious to review things I'm not going to be using and/or needing anytime soon, given that I do not really plan on returning to college right now. Yet, the fact that I'm having difficulty with material I have already covered worries me. At the same time, I don't feel like the frustration is really worth it. It's like I'm trying to sharpen a rusted axe everyday, but there aren't even any trees to cut down anymore, metaphorically speaking.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you reviewing it for, are you still in school and trying to make sure you know what you need for future courses, or just doing it for fun outside of a school setting?

Likes russ_watters
The only thing I use differential equations for anymore is making jokes in PowerPoint presentations about how terrible differential equations are.

• Haha
Likes Evo, Wrichik Basu and BillTre
Rather than getting practice by "reviewing" the math,
maybe it's better to get practice by "applying" the math to various problems that are of interest to you.

Maybe you can build something, or model it on a computer.
Or maybe think how you would teach it to someone else [possibly with new methods... can it be visualized?]... often, I learn a lot by having to teach it to someone else.

Likes vela, Mondayman and BillTre

1. Should I continue reviewing my undergraduate math?

It ultimately depends on your goals and current level of understanding in mathematics. If you are planning to pursue a career or further education in a field that heavily relies on mathematics, then it may be beneficial to continue reviewing your undergraduate math. On the other hand, if you feel confident in your understanding and do not see the need for further review, then it may not be necessary.

2. How much time should I devote to reviewing my undergraduate math?

The amount of time you should devote to reviewing your undergraduate math will vary depending on your goals and current level of understanding. It is important to set realistic goals and create a study schedule that works for you. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or mentor who can provide personalized recommendations.

3. What resources can I use to review my undergraduate math?

There are many resources available for reviewing undergraduate math, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It can be helpful to use a combination of resources to cater to your learning style and needs.

4. Is it normal to struggle with reviewing undergraduate math?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with reviewing undergraduate math. Mathematics can be a challenging subject and it is common to encounter difficulties while reviewing. It is important to stay persistent and seek help when needed.

5. How can I stay motivated while reviewing my undergraduate math?

One way to stay motivated while reviewing undergraduate math is to remind yourself of your goals and the importance of understanding the subject. Additionally, taking breaks, rewarding yourself for progress, and seeking support from friends or study groups can also help with motivation.