How to take fire flow conditions into account ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of designing a water distribution network for a residential area using EPANET and GANEO. The speaker has set up the network and optimized it using GANEO, but is unsure how to optimize it for cases of fire flow. They explain the need for each fire hydrant to be able to supply 15 litres/sec in case of a fire, but not wanting to over-design the system. The speaker notes that manually analyzing the system for different demand flow scenarios would be impossible without a computer.
EngineeringDaN
For a project in my 3rd year hydraulics course we have to design a water distribution network for a residential area using EPANET and optimizing it using GAWUP (GANEO).

I have the entire network set up with all the peak flow demands set for each of the required nodes. Using GANEO I can easily optimize this system to give me the best combination of pipe diameters to meet the required pressures and flows at each node. However, I am not sure how I would optimize the system for cases of fire flow. Any fire hydrant in the network at any given time must be able to supply 15 litres/sec in case of a fire, and not more than one fire hydrant must be used in any specific area. I cannot just assign a flow of 15 litres/sec to each fire hydrant and then optimize the system in GANEO. While this would assure I would get the required flow at any fire hydrant at any time, the system would be highly over designed because in reality you would never need more than one fire hydrant open in any specific area.

How can I optimize the network so that any specific hydrant in the system has the required demand of 15 l/s without fixing a flow of 15 l/s to every single fire hydrant ?

Note: This is a rather large network with one reservoir supplying about 180 different nodes and about 50 fire hydrants in total. It would be impossible to analyze the system for different demand flow scenarios without a computer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The obvious (albeit long) way is to optimize the system under normal conditions, then assign each hydrant, one by one, the 15 l/s flow and check the pressures at your nodes, upsize system as necessary.

1. What are fire flow conditions?

Fire flow conditions refer to the amount of water and pressure needed to effectively combat a fire. This includes the flow rate and duration of water needed to extinguish a fire, as well as the pressure required to reach the fire's source.

2. How do fire flow conditions affect firefighting?

Fire flow conditions are crucial in determining the effectiveness and safety of firefighting efforts. If the flow rate or pressure is too low, the fire may not be fully extinguished, leading to potential re-ignition. If the flow rate or pressure is too high, it can cause damage to the structure and endanger firefighters.

3. How do you calculate fire flow conditions?

Fire flow conditions can be calculated using various methods, including the National Fire Academy formula, the Insurance Services Office formula, or computer modeling programs. These calculations take into account factors such as the size and construction of the building, the type and intensity of the fire, and the available water supply.

4. Why is it important to take fire flow conditions into account?

Taking fire flow conditions into account is crucial for the safety and effectiveness of firefighting operations. It ensures that enough water and pressure are available to extinguish the fire and protect both the firefighters and the surrounding area. It also helps to prevent property damage and potential injuries.

5. How can we improve our understanding of fire flow conditions?

Improving our understanding of fire flow conditions requires ongoing research, training, and collaboration between fire departments, researchers, and water supply agencies. This can include conducting experiments, analyzing data, and sharing best practices and lessons learned from past firefighting incidents.