Can You Communicate with Deer by Closing Your Eyes?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a family of deer living on the property and the attempts to communicate with them. There are discussions about taming them, making them house pets, and teaching them who is on top of the food chain. There is also a humorous anecdote about a deer being hit by a person crawling on all fours. The conversation also touches on the idea of writing books and collaborating, as well as the potential sale of the brush shelter and the possibility of one person becoming the new landlady.
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know much about deer, but I certainly didn't expect aggressive behavior this early in the year.
You brought this on yourself by chatting up his girlfriend.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
:rofl: I think we better start collecting venison recipes for Ivan and Tsu. :uhh:

zoobyshoe said:

But I only called her deer, not dear! :cry:

Ivan Seeking said:
But I only called her deer, not dear! :cry:

http://members.aol.com/earlwerks/sounds/rimshot.wav"

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yosemite the only animal fatality that the HR department admits is from a deer. (Of course this was a parent putting a little child up on the deer's back to take a picture, I've never been sure if the child died or the parent.) Deer are dangerous much more so than bears. Bears will run away from everything but food(which might be you). Deer just stand there and look at you stupidly until they think that you are attacking them and then they charge. Venison is very good.

Ivan, a few well-placed landmines will solve your problem with minimal effort. (Don't even think about shooting a deer with a .380 unless you can get it through the eye. Those things can barely knock down a person, never mind anything bigger. You'll just piss it off.)

Danger said:
Don't even think about shooting a deer with a .380 unless you can get it through the eye. Those things can barely knock down a person, never mind anything bigger. You'll just piss it off.)

Yes, it is starting to come back to me now. I was thinking that at such close range a chest shot would do, but I really would need something like a 30-30, eh.

Anyway, hopefully they'll be gone soon. With the unusual heat and dry weather of late, the creek is barely a trickle now.

I've actually had a little experience with this...

I am friends with a girl who lives on a ranch in a very small one stoplight town. A deer crashed into her glass door and injured its leg, so they helped it out and I think fed it and stuff.

I even want to say that she told me that the deer drank milk. But that part's uncertain.

Anyway, they ended up just raising this deer as a pet and it lives in their yard and they feed it and such.

They named him Poncho. Seriously - Poncho the dear.Comedian Ron White on deer hunting,

"Some of my friends try to get me to go deer hunting. They tell me that deer hunting is one of the greatest sports a man can participate in... I hit a deer in a van - going 55 MPH, with the lights on and the horn blowin'. My, that's an elusive creature. If you are ever having problems hitting a deer, its because your bullets are too fast. Just slow it down to 55 mph, throw a horn and headlights on it, and he'll jump right in front of it!"

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Great! He seems to have laid claim to a spot directly between my office and the house. If he doesn't leave soon I may have to do something. I can't have to worry about this guy coming at me in the dark.

Maybe I had better start carrying the .380. Do you think the sound of a gun shot would stop a charge, or would I have to shoot him?
Maybe you'll have to start driving to work. :rofl:

Get yourself a scarecrow. They are battery-operated sprinklers with motion detectors. Hook it up to a hose, aim the detector toward where the deer likes to hang out, and when he shows up, that noisy oscillating sprinkler will go off, jumping the heck out of him and spraying him with water. It shuts off automatically after a few seconds, and resets, ready to trigger again within 8 seconds. You can find 'em on-line for between $50 and $60 each. They are very effective, and lots cheaper than stocking the rose-garden buffet with new plants every year. Deer got my biggest habanero plant and lots of our herbs the night after we set them out in the garden last year. We bought two of the scarecrows to cover the 1500 sq ft garden and did not have another deer track in the garden all summer, although they often slept on our lawn.

Astronuc said:
Maybe you'll have to start driving to work. :rofl:

Heh, :redface: I am. I'm not walking around here in the dark with an aggressive buck hanging around.

Turbo, sounds like a great idea. Maybe we can even bring back Tsu's rose garden.