Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to tell how many answers there are? (Trig equations)

1. Feb 25, 2015 #1
    I'm thinking I may not understand what is a possible solution of a problem and what not. The interval for all of my problems is 0 to 2pi. So I suppose that if my answer was Sec=2, that I'd convert it to Cos, then it would be all of the angles that x = 1/2. I think I have this much right, my confusion is when there are two answers, such as the one listed above, and say sec = -1. What do I do here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A solution of an equation is a number that makes the equation a true statement. For example, the equation x2 - 3x + 2 = 0 is true only for x = 1 or x = 2. Any other value of x gives a value on the left side different from zero.
    Yes, that's right.
    Let's look at the equation sec(x) = 2 first before going off to another problem. Within the interval [0, ##2\pi##], how many numbers are there for which cos(x) = 1/2? Looking at the unit circle is very helpful.

If the equation were sec(x) = -1, then equivalently, cos(x) = -1. For this equation, there is only one solution. Again, the unit circle is helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook