How to transform equation 3-20 to equation 3-22a for center of pressure

  • Thread starter Thread starter goldfish9776
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Center Pressure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
goldfish9776
Messages
310
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


pls refer to photo 2 , (circled part) How to transform equation in 3-20 to become equation in 3-22a ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


i have tried in photo 3 , yet can get the same form as in 3-22a . In step 2 , i divided the y_p with Fr
 
Attachments
  • 0034.jpg
    0034.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 458
  • 0035.jpg
    0035.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 426
  • 0036.jpg
    0036.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
I can see an error in your working. In the left hand term, you substituted FR=P0A (wrong), but in the right hand term you correctly used PcA.
I'll continue to study the text, but it is hard to read in places.

Edit:
I eventually figured out that the denominator in the last term of 3-22a reads ##(y_c+P_0/(\rho g \sin(\theta))A##, with which I agree.
Do you get that with the above correction?
 
Last edited:
no , i still gt stucked here
 
Attachments
  • DSC_0397[1].JPG
    DSC_0397[1].JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 485
goldfish9776 said:
no , i still gt stucked here
Put the denominator in the second term back into the form PcA for now.
Take the second term in the numerator (the one with yc2; you missed out the c subscript) and shift it into the first term after the equals sign. In the numerator there, you can extract a factor yc. The other factor is PcA, so cancels with the denominator.
 
how to facrorise yc ? there are 3 terms there , but there are only 2 terms contain yc ... and i can't factorise PoA ...
 
Attachments
  • DSC_0398[1].JPG
    DSC_0398[1].JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 453
goldfish9776 said:
how to facrorise yc ? there are 3 terms there , but there are only 2 terms contain yc ... and i can't factorise PoA ...
You have successfully factored out the yc. In the other factor, you have two terms each with a denominator PcA. So you can add together the numerators. I think you'll find those numerators add up to PcA.
 
haruspex said:
You have successfully factored out the yc. In the other factor, you have two terms each with a denominator PcA. So you can add together the numerators. I think you'll find those numerators add up to PcA.
ok , i get my yc now , how to transform the ( (rho)g sin theta ( I xxc) / PcA )into the same form as 3-22a?
 
goldfish9776 said:
ok , i get my yc now , how to transform the ( (rho)g sin theta ( I xxc) / PcA )into the same form as 3-22a?
In that term, expand the Pc in the denominator into P0+ etc. form, then divide through numerator and denominator by (rho)g sin theta.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: goldfish9776