Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to type terminology on word document.

1. May 22, 2014 #1
    So, I was trying to type something like dy/dx or dt/dy or a^(n)dy/dx
    But the problem is: I can't write subscripts on word or nth order derivatives. For my math club, I can't use ^ symbol or dx/dx (must be fraction form). I also need to know how to write the subscripts for y1, y2, y(n-1), y(n) for example.

So how do I do that? The main goal is to be neat and easy to read, since I don't want to confuse people in my mathematics club. (I'm making notes for them)

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You could always make your notes in LaTeX. It takes a very short while to learn the specifics.

4. May 22, 2014 #3
    I forgot to mention, the integration symbol with interval [a,b]

5. May 22, 2014 #4
    What is LaTeX?

6. May 22, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's this awesome program that all mathematicians use to typeset documents. It's really not too difficult to learn and you end up getting nice formulas such as

[tex]\int_a^b \frac{dy}{dx} dx[/tex]

This is a short guide for how to type LaTeX on this forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

If you are interested in making your own documents, then I highly recommend the website https://www.writelatex.com/ No need to download anything, you can start typing your notes immediately (of course, if you write a lot in LaTeX, it might be worth it to finally download the program on your computer, it's free).

Read through this to get started: http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/latex-veryshortguide/veryshortguide.pdf
    A list with the basic commands can be found on the FAQ I linked: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

The only real difference is that the command

Code (Text):

##x^2##

should be changed by

Code (Text):

$x^2$

7. May 22, 2014 #6
    So, I can copy and paste it into word?

8. May 22, 2014 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Microsoft Word normally comes with a tool named Equation Editor. Do you have it installed?

9. May 22, 2014 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The idea is never to use word again.

10. May 22, 2014 #9
    Oh okay. But will it print out as a full page on paper? Can I copy and paste a word document that has been already made and edit with LaTeX?

11. May 22, 2014 #10
    No I have not. Where can I go to install it? Link please.

12. May 23, 2014 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure. LaTeX is used to generate pdf documents (or other formats). These can be read and printed.

Yes, you can just copy paste a word document into a LaTeX editor. You will likely have to make some adjustments though.

You should really try LaTeX. All mathematicians use it and all math books and articles are written with it. I am willing to help you with it if you want.

13. May 23, 2014 #12

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Which version of Word are you using? Apparently with Word (for Windows) 2003 Equation Editor was an add-on program (available on the Word installation disc, not as a download), but for 2007 and later the equation-editing capability was built in.

Inserting an equation in Word 2013

Word 2010

For other versions of Word, try Googling for something like "Word xxxx equation editor".

I use the Mac OS version (2011) which still has a separate Equation Editor, but I replaced it with MathType (not free) which has more features including exporting to LaTeX.

14. May 23, 2014 #13

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

People sometimes use "LaTeX" to mean just the equation editing part of the system (and on a forum like PF, the equation editing is the only part that is available).

LaTeX is a complete document creation system. I've used it on huge projects (e.g. 10,000 pages of text with maybe 50,000 cross-references from one place to another) that didn't contain any math equations at all. Don't try doing something that big in Word, if you want to stay sane!

15. May 23, 2014 #14
    @AlephZero I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but out of curiosity, what did you need for 10,000 pages of text?!?!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook