Differential Equations book recommendations

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problem (Computing and Modelling)" by Edwards and Penney, with the speaker expressing their dissatisfaction with certain aspects of the book. They mention that the book focuses too much on modelling and application rather than mathematical concepts, and criticize the explanation of Improved Euler's Method. They also discuss separable differential equations and the use of notation such as ##D_x## without explanation. The speaker then asks for recommendations for other books on differential equations with specific topics and features, and receives suggestions such as Ross: Differential Equations, Tenenbaum and Pollard, and Coddington. Other resources such as MIT OCW and lecture notes from Oxford are also mentioned. The
Hall
I ordered Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problem ( Computing and Modelling) by Edwards and Penney. There are several things in the book which I don't like
  • Too much focus is given to modelling, almost every topic is explained not from mathematical point of view but from application point of view.
  • Improved Euler's Method is not well explained, it has been made a kinda gravy of.
  • Here is how they do separable differential equations:
##\text{The first-order differential equation}## ## \frac{dy}{dx} = H (x,y)## is called separable provided that ##H(x,y)##
can be written as the product of a function of ##x## and a function of ##y##: ## \frac{dy}{dx} = g(x) h(y) = g(x)/f(y)##
where ##h(y) = 1/f(y)##. In this case the variables ##x## and ##y## can be separated [...] by writing informally the
equation ##f(y) dy = g(x) dx## which we understand to be concise notation for the differential equation ## f(y) \frac{dy}{dx} = g(x)##. It is easy to solve this type of differential equation simply by integrating both sides with respect to ##x##:
## \int f( y (x) ) \frac{dy}{dx} dx = \int g(x) dx +C##.
I mean to say that, first of all converting ##h(y)## to ##1/f(y)## was really not needed, we could simply take ##h(x)## to the denominator of LHS. And why not to simply integrate ## f(y) dy ## and ## g(x) dx##, (Prof. Jerison taught to do it that way only) why to take that ##dx## back again? Well, it may be due to some rules in academia or whatever, but I find it not very easy to understand and remember.

• The notation ##D_x## is used quite a lot, like ## D_x \left( \int P(x) dx \right) = P(x)## and has not been explained anywhere that it stands for ##\frac{d}{dx}##.

I've decided to change my book. I would like to you to recommend be books on differential equations which would help in self-teaching, books like Late. Prof. Mattuck's Introduction to Analysis, or books of Prof. Strong. Please make sure the books recommended should have following in its content:

1. First-Order Differential Equations (Slope Fields, Method of Separation, Linear-first Order equations, Substitution Method)
  2. Numerical Methods and Mathematical models (Euler's Method, RK2, RK4)
  3. Linear Equations of Higher Order
  4. System of Differential Equations
  5. Laplace Transform Methods
  6. Eigenvalues method
  7. Intro to PDE
And it would be very nice if their shall be answers to problems.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the intro ODE books (which the topics you listed fall into this category) are similar to the style of Edwards and Penny.

I really liked Ross: Differential Equations, I believe mine is the 2nd edition?. It is a green book and is published by Blaisdell. It is not crowded with diagrams on every page. Explanations are short. I found the Laplace/Inverse Laplace section to be readable, but I liked the presentation in Zill better.

Likes Hall
Try Tenenbaum and Pollard. It's a bit verbose but has answers and is less cook-booky.
Or try Coddington which has next to no applications and is very dry (and short). Both coddington and Tenenbaum Pollard don't treat PDEs at all.

MIT OCW has two courses on ODEs one at the same level as you want and one honors course using Birkhoff and Rota which is much more theoretical.

Some lecture notes from Oxford which seem good (I'm currently reading them):
http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/AlexanderSchekochihin/ODE/

Likes The Bill
I am not so sure there is a good DE book. I'm not sure there can be. The subject is vert episodic. "You see something like this, try this." Over and over.

Hall said:
I ordered Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problem ( Computing and Modelling) by Edwards and Penney. There are several things in the book which I don't like
  • Too much focus is given to modelling, almost every topic is explained not from mathematical point of view but from application point of view.
  • Improved Euler's Method is not well explained, it has been made a kinda gravy of.
  • Here is how they do separable differential equations:
##\text{The first-order differential equation}## ## \frac{dy}{dx} = H (x,y)## is called separable provided that ##H(x,y)##
can be written as the product of a function of ##x## and a function of ##y##: ## \frac{dy}{dx} = g(x) h(y) = g(x)/f(y)##
where ##h(y) = 1/f(y)##. In this case the variables ##x## and ##y## can be separated [...] by writing informally the
equation ##f(y) dy = g(x) dx## which we understand to be concise notation for the differential equation ## f(y) \frac{dy}{dx} = g(x)##. It is easy to solve this type of differential equation simply by integrating both sides with respect to ##x##:
## \int f( y (x) ) \frac{dy}{dx} dx = \int g(x) dx +C##.
I mean to say that, first of all converting ##h(y)## to ##1/f(y)## was really not needed, we could simply take ##h(x)## to the denominator of LHS. And why not to simply integrate ## f(y) dy ## and ## g(x) dx##, (Prof. Jerison taught to do it that way only) why to take that ##dx## back again? Well, it may be due to some rules in academia or whatever, but I find it not very easy to understand and remember.

• The notation ##D_x## is used quite a lot, like ## D_x \left( \int P(x) dx \right) = P(x)## and has not been explained anywhere that it stands for ##\frac{d}{dx}##.

I've decided to change my book. I would like to you to recommend be books on differential equations which would help in self-teaching, books like Late. Prof. Mattuck's Introduction to Analysis, or books of Prof. Strong. Please make sure the books recommended should have following in its content:

1. First-Order Differential Equations (Slope Fields, Method of Separation, Linear-first Order equations, Substitution Method)
  2. Numerical Methods and Mathematical models (Euler's Method, RK2, RK4)
  3. Linear Equations of Higher Order
  4. System of Differential Equations
  5. Laplace Transform Methods
  6. Eigenvalues method
  7. Intro to PDE
And it would be very nice if their shall be answers to problems.

Thank you.

Differential Equations: From Calculus to Dynamical Systems: Second Edition.​

If you search this book on Amazon, you are able to view some of the contents of this book (view function on Amazon). It is more modern than Ross. Look to see if you prefer this to the book you are using.
Vanadium 50 said:
I am not so sure there is a good DE book. I'm not sure there can be. The subject is vert episodic. "You see something like this, try this." Over and over.
Having only read the first 3 chapters of Arnold's book, I beg to differ. Although from what I know of ODE (very little), it is not complete. Granted this book is for a second course in ODE, and a student needs at the minimum two semesters of Analysis, upper division LA, an intro Topology to start to understand it a bit.
Not recommended for a first exposure to ODE, or someone who lacks at least these courses.

My friend who has taken a differential geometry course, really enjoys this book.

Boyce and DiPrima, I had the third edition almost 40 years ago and it si still gong strong way past the 10th I believe...

Likes vanhees71

1. What are the best differential equations books for beginners?

Some popular books for beginners include "Differential Equations for Dummies" by Steven Holzner and "Elementary Differential Equations" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima. These books provide a solid foundation in the basics of differential equations.

2. Are there any advanced differential equations books for experts?

Yes, there are several advanced books for experts such as "Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction" by Walter A. Strauss and "Applied Partial Differential Equations" by J. David Logan. These books cover more complex concepts and applications of differential equations.

3. Are there any online resources for learning differential equations?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, tutorials, and practice problems available on websites like Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources can be a helpful supplement to a textbook.

4. What are some recommended textbooks for self-study?

Some popular textbooks for self-study include "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by George F. Simmons and "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard. These books are well-written and include plenty of examples and exercises for practice.

5. Are there any differential equations books that focus on specific applications?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific applications of differential equations such as "Differential Equations in Biology" by Simon A. Levin and "Differential Equations for Engineers and Scientists" by C. L. Liu. These books provide a more specialized approach to understanding differential equations in a specific field.