How to understand differential geometry

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding differential geometry, specifically in relation to its abstract nature and the need for a strong basis in concepts such as calculus. The conversation also mentions some recommended books for learning differential geometry, including "Differential Geometry" by Wolfgang Kühnel, "Elementary Differential Geometry" by Barrett O'Neill and Andrew Pressley, "Elementary Classical Analysis" by Marsden & Hoffman, and "Calculus on Manifolds" by Spivak. It also suggests looking into the books of David Henderson for a better understanding of the subject.
phyky
the differential geometry is so abstract to understand. All are terms and theorem. How to understand it? can someone give me some method and guidance to learn it. HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Learn the differential geometry of curves and surfaces first!

Some books:

Differential Geometry - Wolfgang Kühnel

Elementary Differential Geometry - Barrett O'Neill

Elementary Differential Geometry - Andrew Pressley

is differential geometry a necessary tool for physics? I find my space conceptual is bad ><
It do not like calculus gt method to refer and practise. All are conceptual derivative!

I won't pretend I understood your last post but if you still find elementary differential geometry of curves and surfaces is too abstract, it might be because you do not have the correct geometrical interpretation/intuition for derivatives of maps R^n-->R^m. In this case, you need to read something like

Elementary Classical Analysis - Marsden & Hoffman

Calculus on Manifolds - Spivak

Thanks. This is much more easy to understand. Seems like my basis is not strong enough to proceed to diff geo...

have you looked at the books of david henderson?

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curved surfaces and higher-dimensional spaces using tools from calculus and linear algebra. It is used to describe and analyze the geometry of objects with smooth and continuous variations, such as curves, surfaces, and manifolds.

2. How is differential geometry different from regular geometry?

While regular geometry deals with flat and rigid shapes, differential geometry considers curved and deformable objects. It also takes into account the effect of infinitesimal changes on these objects, which is not typically studied in regular geometry.

3. What are some real-world applications of differential geometry?

Differential geometry has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and understand the behavior of physical systems, design and optimize structures, and create realistic visual effects in video games and movies.

4. What are some important concepts in differential geometry?

Some fundamental concepts in differential geometry include curves, surfaces, manifolds, tangent spaces, and Riemannian geometry. Other important topics include differential forms, connections, and curvature, which are used to describe the local and global properties of geometric objects.

5. How can I learn more about differential geometry?

There are many resources available for learning differential geometry, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra before delving into differential geometry. Practicing with problems and examples is also crucial for understanding the concepts and developing intuition in this subject.