Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to understand this equation?

1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

I'm not good at calculus, but want to interpret intuitively various equations in engineering papers.
    One of example is below,

This is an equation for volumetric flow rate.
    %C4%B8%C3%B3.JPG

Can anybody explain this equation in a easy way or like literature?

Best,
    James

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Without a reference to a paper or book, it is impossible to give you a good explanation of what this equation describes. Throwing out unfamiliar equations without any context is like that, unfortunately.

There are certain equations, like F = ma or E = mc2 which are universal enough that one can make a reasonable interpretation without much additional information, but your sample equation is not one of these.

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3
    Try to make sense out of the dimensions. If that's an equation for volumetric flow rate the dimensions must be [L]^3/[t]

5. Apr 21, 2016 #4

Merlin3189

Gold Member

It might help if you said what each of the symbols represents: V, P, z, ω, μ, α
    and what the formula is supposed to calculate an in what context.

6. Apr 21, 2016 #5

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It bears a passing resemblance to the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, so I'd hazard a guess that this has something to do with fluid flowing in a pipe (or several pipes, given the summation), but it isn't really a match so I really don't know without any more context.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted