How to Use Newton's Second Law to Solve for Tension in Statics Problems?

  • Thread starter Thread starter VitaX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Statics Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
VitaX
Messages
183
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[PLAIN]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2106/241s.png

Homework Equations



ΣF = ma

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm really confused here, is using ΣF = ma even possible to find the tension here? Or do I have to utilize some other method, like law of sines?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The system is in equilibrium, so a = 0 . You might want to draw a free body diagram of member BC and sum moments about B, where the sum of moments (and forces) about B must equal _____??
 
I think I figured it out for the most part, thanks for the hint.