Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to use the Bromwich Integral

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    I converted the function, [tex]{t^n}{e^{-t}}[/tex] where t is the variable (time domain) and n is any real whole integer greater than or equal to 0, to the s-domain using a unilateral Laplace transform. In the end, I got f(s) = [tex]\frac{n!}{(s+1)^{n+1}}[/tex]. The reason why I did this was because I wanted to find [tex]\int}{t^n}{e^{-t}}dt[/tex]. I know how to do this with integration by parts, but I wanted to "spice things up a bit". Once I had converted the function to the s-domain, I integrated it with respect to s, in other words, I thought [tex]\int}{\frac{n!}{(s+1)^{n+1}}}ds &=& \int}{{t^n}{e^{-t}}}dt[/tex], correct me if I am wrong. Thus, I got [tex]\int}{\frac{n!}{(s+1)^{n+1}}}ds &=& {\frac{n!}{-(n+2){{(s+1)^{n+2}}}}[/tex]. Thus, in order to find the [tex]\int}{t^n}{e^{-t}}dt[/tex], I just have to convert [tex]{\frac{n!}{-(n+2){{(s+1)^{n+2}}}}[/tex] back to the time domain using the Bromwich Integral, but I don't know how to do this (again, correct me if I am wrong). Could somebody help me?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    Mustn't it be integrated along a straight line parallel to the imaginary axis and intersecting the real axis in the point [tex]$ \gamma$[/tex] which must be chosen so that it is greater than the real parts of all singularities of F(s)? I just don't know how do this. I've only done math until BC Calculus. Also, in practice, computing the complex integral can be done by using the Cauchy residue theorem, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?