Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to wirelessly connect laptop to TV

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    Hi guys, I was wondering what is the best way to wirelessly connect my laptops to my TV? I have 3 different laptops: 2 windows 7, and one with Linux (Ubunu/Arch Linux). My TV has built in Wi-fi.

What i would like to accomplish is have my laptop(s) wirelessly connect to the television so that i can still have my laptop with me on the couch and be able to extend my screen. So i could watch netflix on the TV while chatting or doing whatever else on the laptop screen.

I have found one solution that i thought was good but, it would not support my Linux Laptop (the device is called the Imation Link).

If it helps i also plan to have a raspberry pi that is always connected to my TV just for general web surfing/video streaming. Basically i would only plug in my laptops if i was programming, playing some games, preparing a flowchart/powerpoint, etc.

Any ideas on how i could accomplish this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2
    Well i did some research on these Warpia products but, they do not support Linux operating systems. Now i'm thinking of just having a super long hdmi cable that i just route underneath my carpet so i can't see it..
  4. Sep 16, 2013 #3
    I used to use S-Video. Pretty cheap option. Linux compatibility is an issue for WiFi products.
  5. Jul 14, 2014 #4
    Netflix and the like is an easy fix if your tv has HDMI get the GOOGLE's Chromecast for $35 !
  6. Jul 25, 2014 #5
    if u have apple tv its used wireless on the mac and tv . theres probably an android application for the wireless connect
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted