My old laptop fails to connect to the wifi

In summary: I had a similar problem (a couple of years ago), at some point, with more than one device. I called my internet carrier and it turned out they had changed their frequencies or something. They made an adjustment from their controls for my account, to cover those specific devices, I think (perhaps in a virtual environment, some of them). Then they asked me to restart all affected devices as well as the wifi router, for the devices to get new IP #s ..., etc.Could it be that?Or, first of all, have tried just restarting everything a couple of times, until they connect?
yungman
Hi

While I am working with Norton to fix my other computer, I have to pull out my old laptop to use at the mean time. It fails to connect to my wifi. It was working before two years ago, now it's not working. I open the troubleshoot and it detected that "Windows can't communicate with the device or resource".

The signal is good, I type in the Network security key and it's not communicating.

My infected laptop communicates just fine and so is my wife's laptop. So it's definitely not the wireless modem. It's the old laptop. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Could it be the security protocol that you are using? In troubleshooting, you could try to eliminate some factors. Perhaps take the laptop to a friend's house or a coffee shop to see if you can connect, there.

I had a similar problem (a couple of years ago), at some point, with more than one device. I called my internet carrier and it turned out they had changed their frequencies or something. They made an adjustment from their controls for my account, to cover those specific devices, I think (perhaps in a virtual environment, some of them). Then they asked me to restart all affected devices as well as the wifi router, for the devices to get new IP #s ..., etc.

Could it be that?

Or, first of all, have tried just restarting everything a couple of times, until they connect?
[+If it fails:]
Then try connecting manually ...
Then troubleshooting etc.
Then call your carrier etc. ... (+above)

Last edited:
yungman said:
I open the troubleshoot and it detected that "Windows can't communicate with the device or resource".

Does this message also include "primary DNS server"? In this case the security software you're using may be at issue.
Check if the DNS Client and the DHCP Client services are running. Depending on the Windows version you're using, find a search dialog box and type "services.msc" (without the quotes). Now, in the services panel look for the services "DHCP Client" and "DNS Client". You can right-click each service and by clicking "Properties" you can check if it is running. In the dependencies tab you can check if the dependent services are also running. If you can't resolve the issue this way then try to flush the DNS cache. Let me know if you want help on this. If you can't solve the problem even this way you may need to reset the TCP/IP stack.

Last edited:
Likes Stavros Kiri
Thanks Q
QuantumQuest said:
Does this message also include "primary DNS server"? In this case the security software you're using may be at issue.
Check if the DNS Client and the DHCP Client services are running. Depending on the Windows version you're using, find a search dialog box and type "services.msc" (without the quotes). Now, in the services panel look for the services "DHCP Client" and "DNS Client". You can right-click each service and by clicking "Properties" you can check if it is running. In the dependencies tab you can check if the dependent services are also running. If you can't resolve the issue this way then try to flush the DNS cache. Let me know if you want help on this. If you can't solve the problem even this way you may need to reset the TCP/IP stack.
Thanks for the reply, I'll check tomorrow when I have the laptop out and look at the message. Have to clean everything up for guess to come tonight.

Thanks

yungman said:
It fails to connect to my wifi. It was working before two years ago, now it's not working.

Just checking, did it work with the same wifi box you have now, or did you replace it?

I'm asking because there are different types of wifi. See e.g. https://support.metageek.com/hc/en-us/articles/202162320-WiFi-Phy-Types for a list including their backward compatibilities.
In other words, there could be a compatibility issue.

Alternatively, you may want to check the security protocols.
It's possible they have been upgraded to newer versions.
To check, see which protocols you're using on the working laptop, and see if you have the same on the older laptop.

Btw, I noticed you mentioning 'your infected laptop'.
Are you sure it is infected? If there was just a popup in a web browser that looked alarming, but went away before you could take proper note of it, then I don't think it is infected. If that's the case you only need a better web blocker.

Last edited:

1. Why is my old laptop not able to connect to the wifi?

There could be multiple reasons for this issue. It could be due to outdated network drivers, incorrect network settings, or hardware problems. Troubleshooting these areas can help identify the root cause of the problem.

2. How can I update my network drivers?

You can update your network drivers by going to the device manager and selecting the network adapter. Right-click on the adapter and choose "Update driver." You can also visit the manufacturer's website to download and install the latest drivers.

3. What network settings should I check?

First, make sure that your wifi is turned on and that your laptop is within range of the wifi network. Then, check if the network name (SSID) and password are correct. You can also try resetting your network settings to default and reconnecting to the wifi network.

4. Could my antivirus software be causing the problem?

Yes, sometimes antivirus software can block your laptop from connecting to certain wifi networks. You can try disabling your antivirus temporarily to see if that resolves the issue. If it does, you can add the wifi network as an exception in your antivirus settings.

5. What should I do if none of the troubleshooting steps work?

If none of the troubleshooting steps work, it is possible that there is a hardware issue with your laptop's wifi adapter. In this case, you may need to get it repaired or replaced by a professional.