How to work out this Acceleration

In summary, the block has a net horizontal force of -8.6N on it, which is the same as the net horiziontal force on the ramp.
koyabr

Homework Statement

I`ve posted relevant picture.No thought for any friction.The ramp`s mass is M,and the cubic slider`s is m.Release the slider(no initial speed),What`s the Acceleration(relative to the earth) of it?

Homework Equations

I`ve been told the answer,as is showed in the picture.But I can`t work out it for myself.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got stuck when I`ve brought in too many parameters,I might have mistaken something.

I`m a new comer and English beginner,hope I`ve described the question clearly.Thanks for viewing.:)

Attachments

• 10935341.jpg
    10935341.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, meaning:

Think about this given situation at a stand-still, where the block is on the ramp at the top but nothing moves (because everything is starting from rest). There is no motion, correct?

Gravity then pulls the block down the ramp, which then causes the ramp to move as well (remember, everything started from rest, aka net F=0 initially). If the intial net F=0, then the final net F must equal 0 as well, agreed? With the understanding of the fact that momentum is conserved, you must solve for the net horizontal force on the block (horizontal to the ground surface that the ramp is not, not horizontal to the ramp itself). This must also equal the net horiziontal force on the ramp caused by the block. Setting these two equal should be your method of solving for a.

Thank EngineerHead and I think I`v figured out the process,the most disturbing thing is the resultant force of the block,whose direction & size are not so clear.I tried the vector triangle,and found the sine theorem useful in working out the resultant force`s size.

Astonishing enough,I got a different answer from what`s showed in the picture,perhaps I have to consult the question provider.

1. What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How do I find the acceleration of an object from a velocity-time graph?

The acceleration of an object can be determined by finding the slope of the velocity-time graph. The slope is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

3. Can you explain how to use the formula a = F/m to calculate acceleration?

The formula a = F/m represents Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. To calculate acceleration using this formula, you need to know the net force acting on the object and its mass.

4. How does acceleration relate to force and mass?

Acceleration is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to mass. This means that the greater the net force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the greater the mass of an object, the smaller its acceleration will be for the same amount of force.

5. Is there a difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Yes, there is a difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration. Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous acceleration can be found by taking the derivative of the velocity-time graph at a specific point.