Find the Acceleration of the two joined Blocks

In summary, for the given scenario with sliders A and B connected by a light rigid bar, with A at xA = 0.4 m and vA = 0.80 m/s to the right, the acceleration and force at this instant can be determined by drawing FBDs for blocks A and B. The force in the rod is positive if in tension and the acceleration of A and B are positive if to the right and up, respectively. Using the Pythagorean theorem and differentiating it twice with respect to time, the acceleration of x and y can be related to each other. Calculus may be necessary to solve this problem.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The sliders A and B are connected by a light rigid bar of length l = 0.50 m and move with negligible friction in the slots, both of which lie in a horizontal plane. For the position where xA = 0.4 m, the velocity of A is vA = 0.80 m/s to the right. Determine the acceleration of each slider and the force in the bar at this instant. The acceleration of A is positive if to the right. The acceleration of B is positive if up (if that is the right word in this horizontal plane). The force in the rod is positive if in tension. Remember that the motion takes place in a horizontal plane, so the force of gravity is not a factor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew FBD of blocks A and B.

Block A has force P acting on it to the right, and there is a force F pointing along the direction of the attached rod.

ƩRx = maA = P - Fcos(phi)

Then I drew a FBD of block B which has the force F acting on it as well in the direction of the rod. Aside from this I can't see any other forces acting on block B.

ƩFz = maA = -Fcos(θ)

After this I'm stuck. I think I need another relationship, one relating the acceleration of block A and B. I'm thinking the Pythagoras theorem would work, but I'm not sure, how I should adapt it for this situation.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• dyn 3.032.png
    dyn 3.032.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,046
Physics news on Phys.org
For the triangle, x² + y² = 0.5²

If you differentiate this twice w.r.t. time, you'll have the acceleration of x ❲viz., d²x/dt²❳ related to the acceleration of y ❲viz., d²y/dt²

Does this sound like the method you expect? I don't want to mislead you, I don't know whether calculus is essential to solving this.

1. How do you find the acceleration of two joined blocks?

The acceleration of two joined blocks can be found by dividing the net force acting on the blocks by the total mass of the blocks. This can be represented by the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the total mass of the blocks.

2. What is the net force in the context of finding acceleration of the two joined blocks?

The net force is the sum of all the forces acting on the two joined blocks. This includes both external forces, such as gravity or friction, and internal forces between the two blocks. The net force determines the direction and magnitude of the acceleration of the blocks.

3. Can the acceleration of the two joined blocks be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of the two joined blocks can be negative. This would indicate that the blocks are moving in the opposite direction of the net force acting on them. However, if the acceleration is negative, it does not necessarily mean that the velocity of the blocks is decreasing.

4. How does the mass of the blocks affect the acceleration?

The mass of the blocks directly affects the acceleration, as shown in the formula a = F/m. A higher mass will result in a lower acceleration for the same net force, and vice versa. This is because a larger mass requires more force to accelerate compared to a smaller mass.

5. What are some factors that can affect the acceleration of the two joined blocks?

Some factors that can affect the acceleration of the two joined blocks include the net force, the mass of the blocks, and external factors such as friction or air resistance. The surface the blocks are on, the angle of the surface, and the shape of the blocks can also affect the acceleration.