1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to work with a non-Abelian gauge field

1. Nov 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    attachment.php?attachmentid=52614&stc=1&d=1352010475.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    I am learning QFT, and I am confused of such transformations. For example, first, in these equations, especially the one that defines the transformation of A(x), whether should the partial derivative acts on U(or U-1), or just take U as a constant? Second, the partial derivative acts only on U-1 or all the things after it?
    Another question is should we consider A(x) and F(x) as an operator, so that when calculating, it is convenient to put a function after it.

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2
    I am not sure about your background but if you want to show it then you can take a simple say SU(2) model,and note that the U's are not constant .In most representation it can be modeled as,U=exp(ζata).you can look up here for this and most noteworthy is chriss quigg book on every kind of interactions.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:rIlRjFXgsUgJ:www.staff.science.uu.nl/~wit00103/ftip/Ch12.pdf+non+abelian+gauge+field+theory&hl=en&gl=in&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShqJlXAn76qqji-voYWnDTnSwkJelRaIib5JXx5oLZGhl30sk1OqYHIo2GTAQBaBfT6RQyAyl3itZF7VAYITk8vDdTHbp2BjVoK1NwdzydbX0ZkAEyvea3rkpV9U90W8FYs1XuP&sig=AHIEtbRTdHObuHKb1PeRx73K-wOszayn0Q

4. Nov 4, 2012 #3
    You mean that, for example, in the last equation of transformation for A(x), the partial derivative should act on U-1, rather than taking U-1 as a constant?

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4
    Yes,of course because U used here as a local gauge transformation.the transformation of gradient takes the form
    μψ=U∂μψ+(∂μU)ψ
    For the derivation which you are looking for,I will refer you to chris quigg book on'gauge theory of strong,weak,electromagnetic' page 55-60.I am not going to derive it here because as always I am out of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook