Deriving equations of motion of abelian gauge field coupled to scalar

In summary, the equations of motion are three sets of equations. One for each of the fields ##\phi,\phi^\dagger, A_\mu##.
Geigercounter
Homework Statement
Consider the following theory in three dimensions (1 time and 2 space)
$$\mathcal{L} = -(D^\mu\phi)^\dagger(D_\mu\phi)-\frac{1}{4}\lambda( \phi^\dagger\phi - v^2)^2-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu},$$ i.e. an abelian gauge field coupled to a complex scalar. Here $$F_{\mu\nu} = \partial_\mu A_\nu - \partial_\nu A_\mu,$$ ##\lambda## and ##v## are real numbers and $$D_\mu \phi = \partial_\mu \phi -iq A_\mu \phi.$$ Now we parametrize the spatial plane with polar coordinates ##\vec{x} = (r\cos \phi, r \sin \phi)## and take the solutions to be of the form (this is an assumption) $$\phi(r,\psi) = vf(r)e^{in\psi} \qquad \qquad \qquad \vec{A}(r,\psi) = \frac{i}{q}a(r)e^{in\psi} \nabla e^{-in\psi}, A_0 = 0.$$ Here ##n \in \mathbb{Z}##, ##a## and ##f## both go to ##1## as ##r \rightarrow \infty## and to zero at the origin.
Relevant Equations
See above
I want to compute the equations of motion for this theory in terms of the functions ##f## and ##a##. My plan was to apply the Euler-Lagrange equations, but it got confusing very quickly.

Am I right that we'll have 3 sets of equations? One for each of the fields ##\phi,\phi^\dagger, A_\mu## ?

So for example the equation of motion when differentiating to ##\phi##becomes $$-\frac{1}{2} \lambda(\phi^\dagger \phi - v^2) \phi^\dagger + \partial^\mu\phi^\dagger (iqA_\mu) - q^2A^\mu A_\mu\phi^\dagger + \partial_\mu\partial^\mu \phi^\dagger + iq \partial_\mu(A^\mu \phi^\dagger) = 0$$ Is this correct?

Then I'm also confused on the ##\partial_\mu## since we are now in spherical coordinates. Are these still derivatives with respect to ##x^1## and ##x^2## or with respect to ##r## and ##\psi##? I'm having some brain lag on this part.

EDIT: I've worked some more on the problem and obtained these equations of motion:
$$-\frac{1}{2}\lambda\phi^\dagger(\phi^\dagger \phi - v^2) +iqA_\mu\left(\partial^\mu + iqA^\mu \right) \phi^\dagger = - \partial_\alpha\left(\partial^\alpha + iqA^\alpha\right)\phi^\dagger$$

$$-\frac{1}{2}\lambda\phi(\phi^\dagger \phi - v^2) -iqA_\mu\left(\partial^\mu - iqA^\mu \right) \phi = - \partial_\alpha\left(\partial^\alpha - iqA^\alpha\right)\phi$$

$$\partial_\alpha F^{\alpha\mu} = iq\left(\phi(\partial^\mu + iq A^\mu )\phi^\dagger - \phi^\dagger(\partial^\mu - iqA^\mu)\phi \right)$$

Now plugging in our ansatz for the first one gives a large second order differential equation: $$-\frac{1}{2}\lambda v^3f(r)(f^2(r) - 1) + n^2a(r)\frac{1}{r^2}vf(r)\left(1 - a(r)\right) = vf''(r) -n^2vf(r)$$ This looks very messy to me...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should your polar coordinates read ## \vec x = (r \cos \psi , r \sin \psi)##?

Have you tried rewriting your scalar fields as ##\phi = \rho (x) + \text{i} \eta (x)##, ##\phi^\dagger = \rho (x) - \text{i}\eta (x)## and rewritten the lagrangian in terms of the real scalar fields ##\rho## and ##\eta## instead?

Yes ##\psi## indeed. I'd edit the post but seems like I can't do that anymore. I don't think I'd need to rewrite in a real and imaginary part though, since I have an explicit solution (ansatz)...

Last edited:
You can always do the same trick with the ansatz.
Have you noticed what happens if you take the complex conjugate of the eq of motion for ##\phi##?
What about the time parameter of the field?

Well the fields are time-independent. The hermitian conjugate of the EOM for ##\phi## is precisely the EOM for ##\phi^\dagger##.

I don't see ow doing your trick in the ansatz will help further. I wrote it out but that makes everything more complicated in my opinion. What's wrong with the method I'm applying now?

Last edited:
How can you have eq of motion with time independent fields?
Where is this problem from?

This ansatz is in the form of a soliton. In easiest case it is time independent.

Likes malawi_glenn
Geigercounter said:
This ansatz is in the form of a soliton. In easiest case it is time independent.
And this is a textbook problem? Can you provide the original problem statement?

The problem statement is as I've written it here. I got it from lecture notes I studied a while back when looking at solitons.

Where is the actual statement?
1684868332122.png

Is the problem to "find a closed solution to ##f(r)## and ##a(r)##"?

Not exactly. From the equations of motion I want to find two second order differential equations in ##a(r)## and ##f(r)##. That statement is just below the relevant equations section.

My apologies for the bad formatting.

1. What is an abelian gauge field?

An abelian gauge field is a type of field that is described by the abelian gauge theory, which is a fundamental theory in particle physics. It is a type of quantum field theory that describes the interactions between particles and the forces that govern them.

2. What is the scalar field in this equation?

The scalar field in this equation is a type of field that is described by a scalar potential. It is a type of quantum field that has a single value at each point in space and time, rather than a vector or tensor value. In this equation, the scalar field is coupled to the abelian gauge field, meaning that the two fields interact with each other.

3. How are the equations of motion derived for this system?

The equations of motion for this system are derived using the principles of classical mechanics and quantum field theory. This involves using mathematical techniques such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, as well as the equations of motion for the abelian gauge field and scalar field separately. The resulting equations describe the behavior and interactions of these fields in space and time.

4. What is the significance of coupling the abelian gauge field to the scalar field?

Coupling the abelian gauge field to the scalar field allows for the description of more complex interactions between particles and forces. This coupling is often used in theories of fundamental interactions, such as the Standard Model, to explain the behavior of particles and the forces that govern them.

5. What are some real-world applications of this equation?

This equation has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of fundamental interactions and particle physics. It has also been used in the development of theories such as the Higgs mechanism, which explains the origin of mass in particles. Additionally, it has applications in condensed matter physics and cosmology, helping to explain the behavior of matter and energy on a larger scale.