How to write a novel, given the synopsis that I had written?

In summary, writing a novel is different from writing short stories. To write a good one, you should start small and develop your skills.
bagasme
Hello all,

In schools I had been dealt with novels (just quotes from them) on any language classes. I had discussed a lot about its plot, the characters, background, and even moral stories. But I haven't ever been taught about how to write my own.

In grade 12 of high school, instead I learned about design my own novel. I had to decide about its theme, characters, plot, background, and moral stories. From above, I made a summary (synopsis).

I know I had written a few short stories, mostly as assignments.

What are next steps to write my novel, after completing its synopsis? Is writing a novel different from short stories?

Bagas

Science news on Phys.org
Many popular novels and movie scripts began as short stories. Begin small and develop your skills.

For example Orson Scott Card wrote a short battle SF story centered on a child soldier named Bean after a devastating war. Card expanded the short story to a full length novel "Ender's Game" with new characters and a more detailed future society. Bean, still sad and weary, became a supporting character. "Ender's Game" expanded to a series of novels based on characters and situations developed in the central novel. Movies, graphic novels, and video games followed.

bagasme said:
In schools I had been dealt with novels (just quotes from them)

It sounds like you haven't read any novels. Is that true? If so, I'd start by reading a few hundred.

bagasme said:
Hello all,

In schools I had been dealt with novels (just quotes from them) on any language classes. I had discussed a lot about its plot, the characters, background, and even moral stories. But I haven't ever been taught about how to write my own.

In grade 12 of high school, instead I learned about design my own novel. I had to decide about its theme, characters, plot, background, and moral stories. From above, I made a summary (synopsis).

I know I had written a few short stories, mostly as assignments.

What are next steps to write my novel, after completing its synopsis? Is writing a novel different from short stories?

Bagas

You may or may not gain insight from W H Auden's poem The Novelist:

https://fourteenlines.blog/tag/the-novelist-by-w-h-auden/

• Skeptical
Likes bagasme
Vanadium 50 said:
It sounds like you haven't read any novels. Is that true? If so, I'd start by reading a few hundred.

Novels aren't up my alley.

During language courses, I only read quotes (snippets) from novels only.

Klystron said:
Many popular novels and movie scripts began as short stories. Begin small and develop your skills.

For example Orson Scott Card wrote a short battle SF story centered on a child soldier named Bean after a devastating war. Card expanded the short story to a full length novel "Ender's Game" with new characters and a more detailed future society. Bean, still sad and weary, became a supporting character. "Ender's Game" expanded to a series of novels based on characters and situations developed in the central novel. Movies, graphic novels, and video games followed.

But in my case I had synopsis to be expanded into the novel.

I know that novels divided into chapters. Should I think about general plot (across all chapters), then think about plot in each chapters, or else?

If you've never read a novel, why on Earth would you want to write one? (And if you are unfamiliar with the form, how will you know if you have done a good job with yours?)

If you are going to ask our advice, why ignore it (suggestion to read some)?

Likes russ_watters
bagasme said:
But in my case I had synopsis to be expanded into the novel.

I know that novels divided into chapters. Should I think about general plot (across all chapters), then think about plot in each chapters, or else?
You are free to do whatever you like.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you've never read a novel, why on Earth would you want to write one? (And if you are unfamiliar with the form, how will you know if you have done a good job with yours?)

If you are going to ask our advice, why ignore it (suggestion to read some)?
@Vanadium 50 so let's read random novels to get the idea how they can be written

PeroK said:
You are free to do whatever you like.
Yeah, FFA (free for all)

This thread is going nowhere. Time to close.

Likes jbriggs444, russ_watters, BillTre and 1 other person

1. How do I develop my characters?

Developing characters is a crucial part of writing a novel. Start by creating a detailed character profile for each main character, including their physical appearance, personality traits, and background information. Then, think about their motivations, goals, and conflicts. As you write, allow your characters to evolve and grow organically.

2. What is the best way to structure my novel?

The structure of a novel can vary, but a common approach is the three-act structure: beginning, middle, and end. The beginning should introduce your characters and their world, the middle should build tension and conflict, and the end should resolve the main conflict and tie up loose ends. You can also use tools like outlining or storyboarding to help organize your ideas.

3. How do I maintain consistency in my writing?

Consistency is important in writing a novel to keep readers engaged and immersed in the story. One way to maintain consistency is to create a style guide for your novel, outlining details such as character names, locations, and important plot points. Continuously refer back to this guide as you write to ensure consistency throughout your novel.

4. How do I handle writer's block?

Writer's block is a common struggle for writers, but there are ways to overcome it. One approach is to take a break and engage in a different activity to clear your mind. You can also try freewriting or writing prompts to get your creative juices flowing. Remember that it's okay to take breaks and come back to your writing with a fresh perspective.

5. How can I make my novel stand out?

To make your novel stand out, focus on creating a unique and compelling story. Consider incorporating unexpected twists, diverse characters, and thought-provoking themes. Also, pay attention to your writing style and use descriptive language to make your story come alive. Ultimately, the key to making your novel stand out is to be true to your own voice and vision as a writer.