1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to write another expression (for n) when given a series sum?

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sorry if the question sounds a bit off, i wasnt quite sure how to word it.

My math question is: given the expression Sn=n^2 + 2n, determine an expression, in simplified form, for Sn-1 in terms of n.

2. Relevant equations

NA (i dont think there are any equations for this)

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly dont know how to go about this properly but here's what ive done:

First three terms are 3, 8 and 15. All of which have a different 'common ratio' when 8 is divided by 3, its 2.67 but when 15/8 its 1.875?
    Which confuses me further, and as for the original question, no idea how to proceed.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2
    try substituting n-1 for in in the expression for S(n) and then simplifying the result.

4. Mar 3, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Well of course the ratios aren't the same! It's a quadratic! Not a linear equation...

5. Mar 4, 2010 #4
    Its not a case of dividing the n-1 by n as it is a ascending arithmetic method as the difference keeps increasing by 2:

1 2 3
    3 8 15

8-3 = 5, 15-8 = 7, so the next difference will equal 9 then 11 and so on an so forth, so your equation is essentially using the "box" number, 1 2 3, to get the actual number in the formula

So if Sn=n^2 + 2n, Sn-1 means you have to rewrite the formula in terms of the previous number

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook