How to write another expression (for n) when given a series sum?

In summary, the question is asking for an expression, in simplified form, for Sn-1 in terms of n, where Sn=n^2 + 2n. The confusion about different common ratios can be explained by the fact that it is a quadratic equation, not linear. The expression for Sn-1 can be found by substituting n-1 for n in the original formula and simplifying the result.
shocklightnin

Homework Statement

Sorry if the question sounds a bit off, i wasnt quite sure how to word it.

My math question is: given the expression Sn=n^2 + 2n, determine an expression, in simplified form, for Sn-1 in terms of n.

Homework Equations

NA (i don't think there are any equations for this)

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know how to go about this properly but here's what I've done:

First three terms are 3, 8 and 15. All of which have a different 'common ratio' when 8 is divided by 3, its 2.67 but when 15/8 its 1.875?
Which confuses me further, and as for the original question, no idea how to proceed.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
try substituting n-1 for in in the expression for S(n) and then simplifying the result.

shocklightnin said:
My math question is: given the expression Sn=n^2 + 2n, determine an expression, in simplified form, for Sn-1 in terms of n.

First three terms are 3, 8 and 15. All of which have a different 'common ratio' when 8 is divided by 3, its 2.67 but when 15/8 its 1.875?
Which confuses me further...

Well of course the ratios aren't the same! It's a quadratic! Not a linear equation...

Its not a case of dividing the n-1 by n as it is a ascending arithmetic method as the difference keeps increasing by 2:

1 2 3
3 8 15

8-3 = 5, 15-8 = 7, so the next difference will equal 9 then 11 and so on an so forth, so your equation is essentially using the "box" number, 1 2 3, to get the actual number in the formula

So if Sn=n^2 + 2n, Sn-1 means you have to rewrite the formula in terms of the previous number

1. How do I find the value of n in a series sum?

The value of n in a series sum can be found by using the formula n = (S - a) / d, where S is the sum of the series, a is the first term, and d is the common difference between terms.

2. What is the formula for finding the sum of a series?

The formula for finding the sum of a series is S = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where S is the sum, n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference between terms.

3. How do I write another expression for n in a series sum?

To write another expression for n in a series sum, you can use the formula n = (S - a) / d, or you can manipulate the formula for finding the sum of the series to solve for n.

4. Can I use a calculator to find the value of n in a series sum?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the value of n in a series sum. You can input the values of S, a, and d into the formula n = (S - a) / d and solve for n using the calculator.

5. Are there any shortcuts for finding the value of n in a series sum?

There are no shortcuts for finding the value of n in a series sum, but you can use patterns and strategies to make the process easier. For example, if the series is arithmetic, you can use the formula n = (S - a) / d to find n quickly. If the series is geometric, you can use the formula n = log(S/a) / log(r), where r is the common ratio between terms.