How to write this function in series form?

In summary, to write the given function in series form, the general j^th term would be s*z^(n-j)/100^(n-j). To find the number of terms needed for the function to equal 100,000 when z=5 and s=500, you would need to sum the terms until the sum reaches 100,000.
nickadams
How can I write this is series form?

f(n) = [itex]\frac{z^n * s}{100^n}[/itex] + 2*[itex]\frac{z^(n-1) * s}{100^(n-1)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{z^(n-2) * s}{100^(n-2)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{z^(n-3) * s}{100^(n-3)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{z^(n-4) * s}{100^(n-4)}[/itex]I stopped at this amount of terms arbitrarily, but really I want the series to stop adding terms when n is equal to x in "z^(n-x)" and "100^(n-x)". How can I say that in a general form?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
EDIT: it is supposed to be z^(n-1), 100^(n-1), z^(n-2) and 100^(n-2) etc..

not 100(n-1), 100(n-2) etc.. as it shows up in the OP

I don't even know if it is called series form, but I was just wondering if there was a more general way to write it? Like if n is equal to 100, I don't want to have to write out 100 terms of the equation so it would be simpler if there were a generalized form...

Well, the general j^th term looks like

[tex]s\frac{z^{n-j}}{100^{n-j}},[/tex]

so you'll just need to sum over the range of j you want. However, in your original post you had a 2 in your second term - is that is really supposed to be there? If yes, should there be similar factors in front of the other terms? If so you will need to modify the above general term accordingly. If the term with the two is the only one like that, then summing over the above general term will leave you short a [itex]sz^{n-1}/100^{n-1}[/itex], so you'd have to add that separately.

Mute said:
Well, the general j^th term looks like

[tex]s\frac{z^{n-j}}{100^{n-j}},[/tex]

so you'll just need to sum over the range of j you want. However, in your original post you had a 2 in your second term - is that is really supposed to be there? If yes, should there be similar factors in front of the other terms? If so you will need to modify the above general term accordingly. If the term with the two is the only one like that, then summing over the above general term will leave you short a [itex]sz^{n-1}/100^{n-1}[/itex], so you'd have to add that separately.

Thank you so much! And yes, the 2 was supposed to be there. So how can I find out how many terms it will take for my function in the OP to equal 100,000 if z=5 and s=500?

1. What is a series form?

A series form is a mathematical representation of a function that is written as a sum of individual terms, each with a variable raised to a different power. It is often used to simplify complicated functions and make them easier to work with.

2. How do I write a function in series form?

To write a function in series form, you need to identify the pattern in the function and then use the appropriate formula to express it as a sum of individual terms. This can involve using techniques such as the binomial theorem, Taylor series, or power series.

3. Why is it useful to write a function in series form?

Writing a function in series form can help to simplify complicated functions, making them easier to understand and manipulate. It also allows for more accurate approximations of the function, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. What are some common series forms used in mathematics?

Some common series forms used in mathematics include geometric series, arithmetic series, binomial series, and Taylor series. These forms have various applications in fields such as calculus, statistics, and physics.

5. Are there any tips for writing a function in series form?

Some tips for writing a function in series form include starting with simpler functions and gradually working up to more complex ones, being familiar with the various series formulas, and double-checking your work to ensure accuracy. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or textbook when working on more challenging functions.