How we can solve the problem of the terrorism

• News
  • Thread starter mohd_adam
  • Start date
We have the silver bullet in our laptops, on our desktops, and in our hands, this instant communication with people all around the world, gives everyone the power to be informed in a timely manor and no longer be too much victims of slanted misinformation.This thread should be one small testament to the closeness of better understanding between people of different cultures and backgrounds, and the power of communication in breaking down barriers. It is up to us to use this power for good and to seek out the truth rather than blindly accepting misinformation. In summary, the conversation highlights the various reasons for terrorism, including the role of Arab dictators, the Palestine problem, and religious education in Saudi Arabia. It also touches upon the beneficiaries of terrorism, with Israel
mohd_adam said:
How we can solve the problem of the terrorism

Long term solution:
Provide (or help provide) better education to the children in those countries
Help the civilians to achieve better life styles

Short term solution:
Go and kill them all (terrorists) until either all of them are killed or your country is run out of resources.Choose short term to make it safer to go with the long term.

Physics news on Phys.org

tiny-tim said:
uhh? whatever are you talking about? :confused:

i] that wasn't before 1948
I know that, and that's why I post it!

ii] there were no Jewish settlers in Lebanon. :rolleyes:
they were planing to, or do they only mean to freak out the people there!

[[please]] keep the Jews out of this, you can say the Israelis:smile:

rootX said:
Short term solution:
Go and kill them all (terrorists) until either all of them are killed or your country is run out of resources.

Choose short term to make it safer to go with the long term.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
you're killing me man

drizzle said:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
you're killing me man

I specified http://www.afghan-web.com/woman/" (see challenges).

Last edited by a moderator:
"Long term solution:
Help the civilians to achieve better life styles"
The problem is that you think its just all about "them" and the education they get..

no..
you contribute by huge amount..

tiny-tim said:
What ruling class?

Are you a Marxist who's just stepped out of a time machine?
I'm not not a Maxist by any means, but I do understand the fact that money is power.
tiny-tim said:
Israel isn't Victorian England, or modern Saudi Arabia.
Sure, and it's not Utopia either.
tiny-tim said:
uhh? The security measures against terrorism are still a huge amount of money that has to come from the taxpayer, and can't be used for anything else.
That money doesn't just disspear into the air though. Again, the lion's share of it winds up in the pockets of the political structure though the settlement industry, and the arms and security industries which revolve around the occupation.
tiny-tim said:
"terrorism" by Palestinians within Israel (as opposed to in pre-1948 Palestine) seems to have started after the Oslo accords in 1993.
I take it you mean Palestinians attacking within Israel? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Terrorist_Attacks_Against_Israel_Before_1967" .
tiny-tim said:
Until the 1948 war, the Jews didn't take any land …
they simply bought land from the Arab owners, and settled on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_P...Exodus.2C_December_1947_.E2.80.93_March_1948".

Regardless, my point was simply that terrorism is a cash cow for the political elite in Israel, just as 9/11 created a gravy train for those running the arms industry, security industries, and the oil industry here in the US.

wajed said:

Well stated. If we were actually "trying to win the hearts and minds of the Middle East", it would be obvious to just about everyone that we are doing it wrong. Unfortunately, people who actually understand this are kept off to the sidelines, by our political elite.

wajed said:
"Long term solution:
Help the civilians to achieve better life styles"
The problem is that you think its just all about "them" and the education they get..

no..
you contribute by huge amount..

how come people still can't figure out the truth, that's really sad..

If we are talking about todays terrorism, most of it is inspired by islam.
So to 'solve' todays terrorism, islam needs to change

studentx said:
So to 'solve' todays terrorism, islam needs to change

How exactly does Islam itself inspire terrorism? It is true that many terrorists are religious extremists however Islam does not condone such actions. The vast majority of Muslims practice peacefully.

studentx said:
Up until 9/11 Catholics were winning in the USA, they are still head of the league tables in the UK and Ireland.

Ironically guess who won the biggest terrorist bombing in Israel competition ?

Last edited:
I've come to the conclusion that religion is just another belief system that those in power use to expand their authority. It's a tool. If you can be a leader of the belief system of the people then you can, for the most part, control the population that holds to those beliefs. It doesn't have to be religion. But religion is a powerful belief system in the ME. History is full of non-religious or hybrid-religous belief systems that have held fanatical power over people. Japan, Germany, Russia to name a few in recent history that had profound tyrannical belief systems that neglected the individual for the sake of the system in power. It's not necessarily the belief system but how it is manipulated by the leaders of it.

mohd_adam said:
Of course there are many reasons for the terrorism..

The reasons of the terrorism ( arranged )

1- The Arab dictators ( presidents ) who rule Arabic countries.
2- The Palestine problem
3- The religious education in Saudi Arabia

Who benefit from the terrorism !?
Israel and the The Arab dictators are the only beneficiaries from the terrorism ...

There are many conflicts in the world. If it involves a state repressing freedoms of people (e.g. Israel's illegal occupation of Palestinian territories, the repression of the Tamils by the Sri Lankan government), then the people can be motivated to fight back and they then might use terror tactics.

So, these conflicts must be resolved. If the cause of the conflict has rational basis then it may stil be difficult to resolve but at least you can approach the solution in a rational way.

But many conflicts are at least in part motivated by religion which is not rational. The solution can then only be reached on the long term by teaching children about science and the truth about religion, i.e. that religion has been falsified by science.

Wiping religion off the face of the Earth would go a long way toward making the world a peaceful place.

we don't have a serious terrorist problem. if your basing it on lives lost terrorism deserves to be thrown in the trash bin to make way for larger issues.

Count Iblis said:
Wiping religion off the face of the Earth would go a long way toward making the world a peaceful place.

Enver Hoxha managed to do that in Albania. In 1967, Albania became the world's only officially "atheist" state, with religions constitutionally banned by 1976. Most younger Albanians have never known religion.

Albania still had a civil war in 1996-1997, when a rash of pyramid schemes crashed the country's financial system, wiping out the savings of Albanian citizens. (In one sense, the 'real' civil war was in the transition from Communist to a parliamentary democracy, but the financial crash was the big event that made things happen very quickly.)

BobG said:
Most younger Albanians have never known religion.
And then they all fell for a 'send all your money to the glorious leader and you will receive your reward one day' scam
- there's almost a parable there.

Count Iblis said:

BobG said:
Enver Hoxha managed to do that in Albania. In 1967, Albania became the world's only officially "atheist" state, with religions constitutionally banned by 1976. Most younger Albanians have never known religion.

Albania still had a civil war in 1996-1997, when a rash of pyramid schemes crashed the country's financial system, wiping out the savings of Albanian citizens. (In one sense, the 'real' civil war was in the transition from Communist to a parliamentary democracy, but the financial crash was the big event that made things happen very quickly.)
Though they were never so successful, Mao and Stalin attempted religious destruction on a much larger scale, killing tens of millions along the way. Like Hoxha, they also had a substitute - the party and themselves.

ZacharyFino said:
we don't have a serious terrorist problem. if your basing it on lives lost terrorism deserves to be thrown in the trash bin to make way for larger issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents,_2009

There's a terrorist attack on this planet virtually every single day. It's not JUST about lives lost... it's the stability of our civilization.

Also, attempting to "wipe religion off the face of the earth" would surely just provoke more "terrorism". If it weren't religion the extremists would find another reason to recruit naive kids into dying for their own causes.

agreed, actually my statements were more pointed towards the "scare" in the US that has so many people worried that they will listen to anything.

You're not a 9/11 truther are you?

Yeah, I hate how politicians use the "crisis" of the day to feed their own power and control too... like the economy. But the United States is still the biggest most beautiful bulls-eye to the islamic extremists. We represent everything that they're pissed off about.

We could curb terrorism in the short-run by giving into their every demand... but that would encourage them to use it again when they find something else they want. Even then their beliefs are so radical and so deeply rooted that they're willing to kill anyone, including their own brothers and sisters, in order to get the job done.

This is why you can't solve terrorism... but I don't think national security should be put on the back burner just because it's been eight years since the last major attack on U.S. soil. They don't have an organized standing army like any other nation does, and you can be sure that if they did have a force that could even hope to compete with our own that they'd already be here.

...attempting to "wipe religion off the face of the earth" would surely just provoke more "terrorism".

All we need to do to "wipe religion off the face of the earth" is to teach children in school the facts about the world and about religion. I.e. that science has more or less explained everything, in the sense that the fundamentals of everything for all practical purposes are known, and that religion has been falsified.

We postpone teaching science to children far too long. There is no problem teaching 6 years olds using some simple analogues that everything is made out of atoms just like they can build things using lego blocks. That way they will get indoctrinated with the hard fact that humans are ultimately just machines.

If this idea gets into the heads of children, then any form of religion will sound completely ridiculous. So, it can be seen as a vaccination against the virus of religion.

I agree. Terrorism is a problem, but it isn't as serious as some other problems. The average American is at a far greater risk of dying from a heart attack or cancer than from a terror attack. So, fixing health care should have a far greater priority than preventing terror attacks that don't have much impact.

But we don't know what will happen on the long term. If crazy jihadists can indoctrinate themselves to fly planes into buildings, then just imagine what would happen if somehow a future US president would have a religious experience that would change his opinions in certain unpredictable directions.

Do we really want religion, which is proven nonsense, to be present in the brains of people who have control of the most powerful weapons? Even if it doesn't cause problems now, how do we know it won't in the future?

Count Iblis said:
All we need to do to "wipe religion off the face of the earth" is to teach children in school the facts about the world and about religion. I.e. that science has more or less explained everything, in the sense that the fundamentals of everything for all practical purposes are known, and that religion has been falsified.

We postpone teaching science to children far too long. There is no problem teaching 6 years olds using some simple analogues that everything is made out of atoms just like they can build things using lego blocks. That way they will get indoctrinated with the hard fact that humans are ultimately just machines.

If this idea gets into the heads of children, then any form of religion will sound completely ridiculous. So, it can be seen as a vaccination against the virus of religion.

I don't believe religion has been nothing but a blight on this planet. In fact I'm more inclined to believe that things would have been worse without it.

Why do you believe it is wrong to kill someone else?

Thou shalt not kill.

Why aren't you a thief?

Thou shalt not steal.

Why do you feel badly when you lie? Religion IS there to keep people in control and some degree of control is ultimately necessary unless you want to live like a barbarian where the strong will thoughtlessly dominate the weak because there's no pressure on them to do the "right thing".

I think great damage could potentially be done to our society if religion is ultimately phased out. The thing is, though, that science proves nothing about why the circle of life goes on forever or why the universe exists in the first place.

I guess I'm more agnostic than anything... I called myself an atheist my whole life but I've come to realize that there's really no reason there couldn't be a god. So I'm open to either content in the fact that I know nothing and I'm just along for the ride.

Anyway, that's why I don't believe destroying religion is the answer to everything. I'd rather have everyone brain washed into doing the right thing by something they believe in rather than strong armed into doing the right thing by a government run by people no more enlightened than themselves. The extremists don't need islam to keep up the jihad... there are enough other words and ideas out there to provide an excuse for their ridiculous bullcrap.

no haha I am not a 9/11 truther. i just believe that if we continue to give away more and more rights as long as it saves us from those terrorists were going to be quite small and easily manipulated in the future. maybe even do ridiculous stuff like allow strict enforcement on gun rights, so much so that it becomes unpractical to own a gun. i Just don't see the threat as major enough to outweigh our constitutional rights.

The Jihadists are not terrorists first. For some of them terrorism is a justifiable means to fight against what they see are injustices against their religion, their people, etc.

I'm sure that our ancestors hundreds of thousands of years ago gradually developed moral values. People living 200,000 years ago were fully modern homo sapiens, so you would have people living around that time who could be just as clever as Ed Witten is now. Then due to lack of answers to their questions about how the world really works, religion arose as simple extrapolations of the rules of their social groups.

Thing is that now we know the origin of religion, we don't need it anymore. In the modern world we live in now, we can do without religion and there are new dangers that did not exist before. We have more technology now than in previous centuries. A single person can kill far more people.

A century ago there were hardly any planes, a few years ago planes were flown into buildings. Today we worry about a nuclear Iran. Who knows, mayby in a few decades there will be some space agency that will be hijacked by an "end of the world sect" which will change the course of an asteroid to make it impact Earth?

We must get rid of religion now or else we risk being destroyed by it in the near future.

For some of them terrorism is a justifiable means to fight against what they see are injustices against their religion, their people, etc.

You're making my point here. Religion is not necessarily the problem when it comes to terrorism. Al Qaeda and groups like them are ticked off due to the fact that western countries are constantly invading their homelands and screwing with them. This has gone on throughout all of human history and phasing out religion is not going to stop the violence.

"Holy war" is just their rationalization. Their reason for it being acceptable. You said yourself that religion is one big rationalization for the unknown. Of course human beings have used religion as their reason for doing all kinds of horrible things. They've also used freedom, and democracy, and progressivism... anything that sounds good to most people at the time.

The world is completely run by religion in one way or another... some religions aren't theocratic.

Edit: You can be sure there are people out there who have made science into their own little religion. I guarantee you someone out there has thought about killing someone else because they wouldn't accept their beliefs... which they see to be TRUTHS. What you need to understand is that not everyone thinks the same way as everyone else and that's just the way it is. The answer is universal tolerance and the ability to let it slide when someone aggravates you. But if that were the case then that would mean that corrupt governments weren't vying for more power and control so we're pretty much screwed.

Count Iblis said:
Nonsense.

Closed pending moderation.