Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beneath the dignity of the Office of the President

1. May 15, 2008 #1

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That was a remark by Nancy Pelosi regarding President Bush's statement (below):

That doesn't sound beneath the dignity of the Office of the President to me.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But they could design H bombs and fly them to the borders of the USSR on a daily basis, or call on G*D to bless this nuclear submarine and all who sail in her.

We do when they look like they are going to win, remember the US and Isreali settlers were terrorists to us at the time. And it's a good job the IRA turned out to be a peaceful cultural organisation all along.

I would like to see the accounts - a lot of 'terrorists' have got paid in dollars over the years.

Their extremist ideology and our faith in Almighty God - is it still the same God ? I lose track sometimes.

4. May 15, 2008 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is that you, Nancy?

5. May 15, 2008 #4
    I guess if the speech is good and you don't like the president then it's bad despite how good it is.

6. May 15, 2008 #5

Art

I think it just shows after his two terms in office he has learned absolutely nothing about foreign affairs in general and the ME in particular.

Maybe it's because he is simple and so can only understand very simple concepts like 'me good, you bad' assuming he even understands at that level or perhaps his mental capabilities are such that even these most basic constructs are beyond him and so he just recites lines parrot fashion without any real clue as to what he is talking about.

Personally I suspect the latter.

7. May 15, 2008 #6
    It sounds like you might disagree with the speech but you haven't actually said what you disagree with.

??

8. May 15, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It isn't a speech it's a collection of sound bytes.
    I assume there is a piece of sotware that writes these things.
    You select from a set of sliders, Israel=+9, Iran=-8, Terrorist=-9, God=+10 and it generates the text by simply sticking together previous phrases.

Actually I think I will make a web site that does that !

9. May 15, 2008 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, Carter was only President for 1 term.

10. May 15, 2008 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Regardless, the point of the thread is that Pelosi (and Obama, btw), thought the speech was some sort of travesty. You haven't said if you agree or disagree with them.

I disagree with them. Further, I think Obama is only highlighting his hypocrisy with his objection to the speech.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-05-15-obama-bush_N.htm

So is Bush wrong about Obama's position (btw, he didn't actually mention Obama, but I'll go with the assumption that he was, at least, one of the targets)?
    http://politivity.com/barack-obama-...rorists-and-stand-up-to-law-abiding-americans

Obama is clearly saying we should be negotiating with terrorists on even ground (as opposed to the current policy that says we don't talk to them until they drop their requirement that we die).

11. May 15, 2008 #10

Art

Would that be the same Carter who presided over the 1979 Egypt - Israel peace deal??

Who exactly has Iran terrorised???

12. May 15, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If Obama wasn't in agreement with Colin Powell, Robert Gates and the Pentagon, the 911 report, and Ronald Reagan, when he argues that we have to talk with our enemies, Bush might have a point, but as usual, he doesn't.

This was nothing more than fear mongering directed towards Jewish Democrats.

As for being beneath the dignity of the office, the notion that this even compares to his abuses of power is laughable. Bush is beneath the dignity of the office. He is a man without honor.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  13. May 15, 2008 #12
    That speech looks so biased =P
    "good and evil"
    I wonder how British looked at people who were fighting for independence ...: terrorists or freedom fighters?

14. May 15, 2008 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Americans, Israeli's, Irish = freedom fighters although they looked like terrorists at the time.
    Jordanians, Iranians = terrorists although they looked like freedom fighters at the time.

15. May 15, 2008 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Typical religious blather and pandering!
    Guess Bush is referring to himself and Kim Jong Il? Or was he calling his Sec State and Sec Def fools? Gates, just yesterday, said about Iran:"We need to figure out a way to develop some leverage and then sit down and talk with them." Is Bush about to fire Gates and Rice?

PS: Talking tough about Iran in front of the Knesset. The irony behind the use of the word "appeasement" is just too hard to ignore.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  16. May 16, 2008 #15
    Are you suggesting that he was "appeasing" to Knesset? Knesset isn't an enemy, or a terrorist of any kind. That's the difference.

I think this is the best speech Bush has ever... uh, read. Kudos to his speech writers.

17. May 16, 2008 #16
    Beneath the Office? I thought that was the main requirement for the job these days... blather a bunch of patriotic platitudes and ignore any discrepencies in truth or logic.

18. May 16, 2008 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not officially an enemy, but Likud party members are undoubtedly extremists, and it is arguable that they have been responsible for more bloodshed than Hamas.

I thought I'd never read anything more disgusting than that speech for a while. You just proved me wrong.

19. May 16, 2008 #18

Art

I wonder what hope the Palestinians have for a just and fair peace given Bush's completely one sided view :rolleyes:

Apparently Bush welled up with emotion from the reception he received. Seems he's finally found people who appreciate his gun boat diplomacy. What a pathetic fool he is!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7399722.stm

If he is so concerned with the unconventional weaponry the Palestinians are using in their struggle to regain their land and homes and to defend themselves from Israeli aggression why doesn't he ship them some assault rifles, missiles and attack aircraft. I'm sure the Palestinians would love to meet Israel on an equal military footing and would happily trade in their stones and suicide vests.

20. May 16, 2008 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Side note: Other targets (people that have proposed negotiating with Hamas and/or Iran) include Rice, Gates, Powell and McCain.

PS: When you throw in Kim Jong, that list of targets extends to Bush himself.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  21. May 16, 2008 #20

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you measure the blood and determine the side of evil or good? Did the Allies shed more blood than the Axis in WWII? The winners usually win by visiting more pain, death, destruction, devastation, famine, economic chaos, etc...

You propose that terrorism is defined by one's ability to defend oneself. That's kind of 'out there' IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?